3 weeks and 2 days after bankruptcy has it changed my life?

Options
I feel like I need to list how my life has changed, and this seems like a good place to do it!

Firstly the bad things;

1) One good friend has distanced herself from me, must be to do with the bankruptcy as i'm a nice person and I haven't done anything to upset her.

2) A "friend" i'd known for 7 years actually said to me that "I should be forced to work full time and not use my daughter as an excuse to work part-time, I should pay back every penny that I owe, and that it was my fault so why should I be allowed to get away with it"

3) My grandad has really been quite judgemental.

4) I'm still getting quite a few phone calls and letters requesting payment. (One hand not talking to the other!)

5) I have a constant fear of being robbed every time I walk around with money in my purse.

6) Tax credits took 3 weeks to start paying money into my new account, meaning a painfully embarrasing 30 minute trip to Natwest every time!

7) I've not had my OR interview yet

8) The traumatic wait to find out if a random stranger had bought my business

9) My new/old car's speedo giving up on me one week after I got it (been quoted £100 to fix- yikes)

10) The rabbit getting Myxomatosis (even though it's been vaccinated!) and costing me £50 in medicines and injections to give it a chance to live! (It's 8 days in now- and it's still hanging on in, although we're told it could get worse)

The good things;

1) Not being bullied into making/ or making arrangements to pay someone everytime the phone rang

2) The sleep!

3) Actually feeling good about living within my means.

4) The kindness and understanding shown by the vast majority of my friends, who've been there to listen and support me.

5) Knowing that I won't (promise!) ever be in that position again and am now far better educated about the dangers of plastic (just say no!)

6) Natwest branch staff being lovely- weirdly I felt that I got better customer service from them after bankruptcy than at any point in the last 10 years?!

7) Having ACTUAL money in my purse. I'd forgotten what pound coins looked like! The jangling makes me feel rich even if i'm not really!

8) My brother managed to buy the business, and although i'm not going to be involved i'm happy that it's gone to someone who will look after it well.

I wanted my good things to be longer than the bad. But believe me they really feel 10 times better!

xx
Bankrupt at 11.47 on 22/08/2007
New debt free life begun 11.48 on 22/08/07 :j

Comments

• betterlatethannever
    Options
    Thanks for that Whoops.
    I was starting to wonder if it was 'just me' who had friends that had distanced themselves. (so skint i can't afford deodorant, but friends should understand that, shouldn't they:rolleyes: ?) I don't totally blame them, i think there sick of me wittering on about how broke i am and hard BR is. Even i'm fed up with myself.
    I also know what you mean about the nat west, they have been nicer to me than before, MBNA also!:eek:

It would be good if you could add to this post in, say, a month and we can see how things change...all hopefully for the better.
    In the mean time, i will buy some deodorant and see if thinngs improve for me too:p Thats the great thing about on-line friends, they can't 'smell' me:D
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • scaredwitless32
    Options
    You know it REALLY annoys me, that people react in the way your friends do! Do they not realise the amount of agonizing that goes into even contemplating BR?????????????? I'm sure that if there was ANY other way than BR you would have chosen it, just as we would. Debt, isnt always about frivolous spending at all.................its circumstances as well! How dare they judge!

The good things in your list certainly make up for the bad, surely, and they alone tell you that you did the right thing :) Consentrate on them .
    I hope the bunny makes a full recovery!!!!!! :(
    Take care, and dont let people get to you. x
  • madoldbat
    Options
    Whoopsydaisy,sorry that you have had to suffer such kind people:rolleyes: I wonder how many little dark secrets;) they have that they can not have on show to the world for fear of judgment?
    You have made mistakes with help from banks and CC but have faced your problems delt with them in the best way for you and your children.You (like me now know no way down that road again:o ) are a brave and caring person who is getting on with life.Well done:T :beer:
    Some of the best lessons we ever learn,we learn from our mistakes and failures.the error of the past is the success and wisdom of the future.:wave: :beer::j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure