Thistle's Mission

Options

Comments

• Thistle-down
    Options
    Were you able to do your whole house, Joeyjimbles? And if so, have you kept it up? The book seems to make much more sense than anything I have read before.

She said 6 months is an average time frame to sort out your whole house, I was hoping to be done by Xmas but that probably isn't realistic...
    :happylove
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thing is ANY progress is better than none. I am slooooowly getting our place sorted, but there is some stuff that needs OHs input (computer trash) that I can't just throw as it may have our photos on of the babies for example. But the clothes oh I hear you there. I have only, 4 years or so ago, finally got rid of my size 10 and 12 clothes! I haven't been that size for 20 years at least. But it can be done. I am working through the clothes that don't suit my lifestyle any more. It saved me a fortune when I started this new job as I was able to shop from my wardrobe and find plenty of work clothes!
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    Having a cup of coffee while catching up on diaries - I find them so inspirational! It feels great to know there are so many people here in similar situations and they are working to change, just like me.

I'm doing some basic tidying then off for the rest of the day to the session/family/picking up daughter. I'm going to have an hour and a half to kill around supper time before picking up DD, so I will bring a sandwich and thermos of coffee with me. I have a card full for a free drink at McD's, I might well end up there to take advantage of the free wifi and bathroom. Normally I would nip into ASDA but they won't be open.

Still planning for tomorrow - I don't know if I can get all the clothes sorting/discarding done in one day, it will take all morning just to get the clothes in one place. I am going to try though rather than starting with one category of clothes at a time - I think being overwhelmed with the sheer amount will help desensitise my attachment to them - that certainly was the case in my mother's house.
    chevalier wrote: »
    I have only, 4 years or so ago, finally got rid of my size 10 and 12 clothes! I haven't been that size for 20 years at least. But it can be done. I am working through the clothes that don't suit my lifestyle any more. It saved me a fortune when I started this new job as I was able to shop from my wardrobe and find plenty of work clothes!
    chev

I'm a size 22 but currently losing weight, once I reach my goal I will be a 14/16. I have a lot of lovely clothes that are currently too small but will eventually fit, and I'm not sure what to do with them. Do I leave them out so I can try them on every so often? Do I put them in a box so they aren't cluttering up the closet? I think if they are all out, the closet will be stuffed full. Any advice? I might pop over to the Kondo thread for help, too...
  • Lauralozzle
    Options
    Hello,

I'd put the clothes in a box so they aren't cluttering your closet but don't put the box somewhere inaccessible and bring it our every so often so that you can try them on. Although if you have one target price of clothing (mines a pair of jeans) I keep that item in my wardrobe so that I'm reminded every day that these need to fit me again!!!!
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    I'm giving busking a miss and starting on the big clothes sort out as soon as I've finished my coffee. I'm just going to read a few more pages in the Kondo book in case there is any info that will make the sorting more efficient, but I get the general idea.

I'm planning on quickly putting things into three piles - keep, keep but too small, and discard. I'll put the 'keep' clothes back in the closet, sort the 'keep but too small' pile into sizes and store them in a suitcase that will be kept on the closet floor, and bring the discard pile downstairs. I'll split the discard pile into 'sell' and 'donate' piles tomorrow, or later today if I have any time left. I'll take the donate clothes to the charity box across the street right away and start listing the selling pile on ebay.

I'm not doing coats, shoes and handbags today, I will do them on Thursday. I am out for most of the day on Wed taking DD to Dr appts and making sure DS has everything he needs for this weekend. I'll have a 'me' do nothing day on Friday, as Sat and Sun we are moving DS into his uni accommodation.

It feels good to have a plan, even if they don't always go as planned! ;)
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    It took 5 1/2 hours, but I did it. I only kept about 5 things to sell, it felt more important to get the clothes out of the house ASAP than to make an extra pound here and there.

I have all my too-small-but-keeping clothes in one large and one small suitcase stored in the closet, everything I'm keeping is hung up or put away in the drawers (rolled and folded as in the book, the space left is astounding!) I took 6 huge bags to the charity box across the street.

I did make an unexpected stop in the middle - once the closet was empty, it seemed like a good time to make the shelf. Not sure how smart this was, but 45 mins later and it was up. Well worth the extra effort.

I managed to do my all my handbags (now in the wicker basket on the new shelf) and some shoes, but the rest of my shoes are scattered around the house so need to get them all in one place before doing it properly. The ones in the bedroom are in the grey laundry basket under my clothes.

It was very hard work, I don't know if I could put that kind of effort in every day but certainly at least twice a week. I feel like I accomplished something huge today.

Before (there's clothes in the blue and red suitcases, too):

image_zpsy06vibjd.jpeg

After:

image_zpsblm4qhee.jpeg
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    I woke up this morning with my heart fluttering all over the place, and I feel a bit lightheaded. I just don't feel right.

I was able to get a Dr appt for 11:40, until then I'm just going to take it easy, maybe write out my goals for the next 12-18 months.

I sleep on my right side and every time I woke up in the night, I looked straight at the closet and smiled. I've left the door open for now, to make for easier admiring. ;)
  • Aw no that's not good.

Take it easy & hope you get on okay at the Dr's.

Dxxx
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    Aw no that's not good.

Take it easy & hope you get on okay at the Dr's.

Dxxx

Thank you Dolly! I'm hoping it's all just part of the change but you can't ever be too careful where your heart is concerned...
  • No absolutely not, best to get checked out.

Dxxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport