Thistle's Mission

Options

Comments

• trixiepix
    trixiepix Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 September 2016 at 3:09PM
    Options
    Well I guess you can use the dresser as an incentive to start listing the smaller items & get the pounds rolling in, so maybe focus on gathering enough to pay for a dresser & then be focused with the outlook of 'once I have my very beautiful dresser in my newly organized streamlined home then I shall start squirrelling away the full 20% to my New home pot (where my dresser will look equally gorgeous!)

Hope your toesies are less tingly ☺

Trix xx

CATALOGUE - £500
    WEIGHT LOSS - 10 of 65lbs
    SAVINGS £500 of £2500 by 2018
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    trixiepix wrote: »
    focus on gathering enough to pay for a dresser & then be focused with the outlook of 'once I have my very beautiful dresser in my newly organized streamlined home then I shall start squirrelling away the full 20% to my New home pot (where my dresser will look equally gorgeous!)

I think that's what I'll do - I like the idea of having a goal that I can reach within the next three/six months, especially something I've wanted for a long time. It'll make the daily slog that much easier if there is an end in sight. Thanks!
    :happylove
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yeah, set yourself small goals.

Every time you tick one off your list you will be extra motivated & will make it feel more achievable in the long run.

I have broken my plans all down yearly, find that has certainly helped.

Dxxx
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    I have broken my plans all down yearly, find that has certainly helped.

Dxxx

Thanks Dolly, that's a great idea! I might even break it down into monthly and weekly goals, I'd like to be able to keep chipping away and feeling like I'm on track.

:T
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why not, if that works better for you then get setting those goals.

Dxxx
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    My new 2016/2017 calendar will be here today, I'll spend an hour working out monthly goals and breaking them down into weeks this evening.

Nothing exciting going on otherwise, I'm going to play this morning rather than afternoon, Mr Thistle will be at work and I find it much easier to write if I am alone in the house. I need to change the guitar strings but may put if off for a few days. I have always changed them pretty much the minute I felt they needed it, but I need to get out of that mentality and I'm sure I won't die if I play on old strings for a week. I'm planning on busking on Saturday, exposing new strings to the elements kills them faster. There's a band gig next Thurs night so will change them on Wed.

I am so tempted to take everything we don't want/need down to the charity shop just to get it all out of the house, but that would not help our finances or my goal of getting the dresser and starting the house deposit. There is probably £1000 worth of ebay sales left to be had, but they are low price items with small returns. I need to get out of the mentality that it's only worth it if I'm making over £20 per sale.

We were too full to eat the crumble last night so will warm it up and have it tonight. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can't wait to see your goals for 16/17.

I would love to be able to play an instrument or sing, I am tone deaf!

Do you not find busking so scary?? I wouldn't be able to make a sound come out of my mouth I don't think, good for you!!

Don't do that, it is much easier to just get rid of it all in the one go. Try setting yourself a goal to list 5-10 items a week? Always keep the money separate then once it builds up you will be able to hopefully buy that dresser you want :money:

Dxxx
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    Thanks Dolly, I've been busking for years now so no longer find it scary, but I nearly peed myself the first few times. I have met some strange people and been in weird situations, but on the whole, street culture is pretty interesting. I started busking mainly to help get rid of debilitating stage fright and earn a bit, but I had so much fun that I just kept doing it.

Are you truly tone deaf? Instruments can be learned at any age, my mother took up the banjo in her 70s! It's a good instrument for the tone deaf :p

I was told for years that I couldn't sing, (mainly by the girl I was playing backup to) and sadly I believed it. When I started writing, I had to work up the courage to sing or people would never hear my songs. I've been playing solo for about 8 years, and now my voice is pretty ok. It's a skill that can be learned by most people, and the more you use your voice the better it gets. Confidence is key. I certainly sing much better than I did even last year - I'm no Adele but I get a fair amount of gigs, so I can't be that bad! :o
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh honestly! I would make your poor wee ears bleed :rotfl:

I love singing in the shower, when I am driving & when I have a wee bevvy.

Aw that's so good you enjoy it that much, I bet you have met a load on interesting people through it.

In Glasgow there are buskers dotted about all over the place.

Why do some people do that, we should be building people up not holding them back for our own gain :mad:

At least you believed in yourself enough to try it on your own & writing your own songs will help.

Dxxx
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    Nothing has gone as planned so far today - I got a phone call and needed to find some paperwork to answer some questions, which made me realise that the most important thing I could do today was go through all the mail/paperwork, write down appts, send things off, and generally get it all in once place. That took most of the morning. The new calendar arrived as well so I put in all the scheduled dates so far through 2017.

I listed a couple of things on ebay, and one sold right away. I took it to the post office, which is just down the street from our house. It wasn't much but added £1.70 to the dresser pot! I am definitely going to aim to list at least two things a day.

I'll probably play tonight, Mr Thistle is taking DD2 to cadets so will be out for a few hours.

I am going to take one day a week as a 'rest' day, where I only do the basic chores. I can read a book, watch a movie, etc. I rarely have solitary 'me' time and realised if I don't schedule it in, I won't ever have any. If it's scheduled then I am less likely to feel guilty about not doing anything productive... :o

It feels good to finally take control of my life. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport