Retired and still,working - why?

Options
124»

Comments

• westv
    westv Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not everybody wants to be busy when they're retired - lots of people just want to relax and enjoy being alive.
    I think the point was to try and avoid being bored. You don't have to be busy to avoid being bored.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    I think the point was to try and avoid being bored. You don't have to be busy to avoid being bored.

I know you don't but some people think you do. I always say, if I'd wanted to be busy, I'd have stayed at work and been paid for it!
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know you don't but some people think you do. I always say, if I'd wanted to be busy, I'd have stayed at work and been paid for it!

Of course. It is a common misconception.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I took early retirement, from an employer that was clearly wanting to remove most of it's experienced employees and hence was showering them with incentives to leave. I resisted at first then succumbed to the temptation. I've worked part time ever since.

I'm now receiving a good company pension but still working 16 hours a week over three days with a nice late start to each day.

I have no real desire to stop working, even though I'll be getting my state pension at the end of the year and this will be slightly more than my employment take-home pay.

I enjoy the enforced discipline of work life and contact with my work colleagues, who are great to work with. The job is reasonably physical but stress free and I have a good holiday entitlement.

I do have a worry about taking a job that a young person might need but then again, 16 hours a week is hardly a career opportunity.

I'll keep going until my health, or missus, tells me to stop.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Probably slightly different as the majority here aren't working class, but looking at my driving staff, out of 20, there are four that are over 65 and one recently left due to a serious health problem.

I don't know the ins and outs of their financial situation, but certainly one of them is very well off and another is comfortable. And our job is long hours, sometimes it's 40 hours, but doing 65 is not unusual - if you count all the time away from home, often on a 24 hour ferry, it's way more.

They enjoy being part of something, feeling valued and I don't think they'd know what to do with themselves as far as I can tell.

If I retire, then I'd do some work I think, but with no staff or my own, let someone else take the responsibility.
  • Bazofts_Revenge
    Options
    Having cleared out a number of elderly relatives houses and seen the effort and time it takes get rid of stuff carefully (to get good value for them) my plan on retiring is selling 95%+ of my possessions so I can move about freely and not be anchored to a property.
    Solar PV cost £5760 (15/03/13)
    FIT inc + Electricity saved £3746 (65% Paid back) Tax free
    Last update 30/09/17
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills