Leaving Date

Options
w00519772
w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
edited 31 August 2016 at 8:30PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
I was recently offered another job and I handed in my notice meaning my last day is with the existing company is: Wednesday 14th September and my first working day with the new company is: Thursday 15th September.

The new company has contacted me today and asked me to start on: Monday 19th September instead i.e. they have revised my start date (which was specified in the contract as 15/09/2016, which I signed). I have two options:

1) Ask my current employer if my last day can change to Sunday 18th September. I think my current employer will "bite my hand off" as there will be two extra days (Thursday and Friday) of knowledge transfer (I am valued by my current employer - there was a good counter offer on the table).
2) Take Thursday 15th September-Sunday 18th September as holiday.

With regards to option two. Does this means I am "unemployed" for four days? What are the implications of this from a tax/NI/anything else perspective.

Comments

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    w00519772 wrote: »
    I was recently offered another job and I handed in my notice meaning my last day is with the existing company is: Wednesday 14th September and my first working day with the new company is: Thursday 15th September.

The new company has contacted me today and asked me to start on: Monday 19th September instead. I have two options:

1) Ask my current employer if my last day can change to Sunday 18th September. I think my current employer will snap my hand off as there will be two extra days (Thursday and Friday) of knowledge transfer. (Why would they keep you on the payroll for Saturday?)
    2) Take Thursday 15th September-Sunday 18th September as holiday. (If you had accrued the holiday, then it would be paid to you in any event.) Does this means I am "unemployed" for four days? What are the implications of this from a tax/NI/anything else perspective.
    If your last day of work for your current employer is 14th September and you don't start with the new employer until 19th September, you would not be "unemployed" at all. You might say you were non-employed.
    The only implication for tax/NI/(pension contributions?) is that you will receive slightly less pay than if you had worked those days with the new employer - but you do get extra free time in between. It won't affect your NI contribution history in relation to being able to claim benefits at some future date, if that is what you are worried about.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is two days pay important to you? If not I'd just take two days off.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    Why would they keep you on the payroll for Saturday

I am paid a salary so if my leave date is 18/09 (Sunday), then I will be paid for two additional days compared to if it was the 16/09 (Friday). Is that correct?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    w00519772 wrote: »
    I am paid a salary so if my leave date is 18/09 (Sunday), then I will be paid for two additional days compared to if it was the 16/09 (Friday). Is that correct?
    Not unless you usually work Saturdays / Sundays. If you're on a five day Monday to Friday contract, then that's how your final salary will be worked out.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport