Trainline?

Options
I have found a good price fare with Trainline, but before I book (first time) are there any negatives that I should look out for?
Many thanks
Carmen

Comments

• mjdh1957
    mjdh1957 Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    They charge a booking fee. Best to book with the actual train operator
    Retired in 2015.
    Moved to Ireland September 2017
  • Carmen
    Carmen Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Southeastern are charging me double for the same journey! Even with the 75 pence booking fee for Trainline. How is this possible?

My journey will be from Ebbsfleet International to Canterbury and return.
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Trainline have no special access to tickets to you should be able to find it without the booking fee.

Not exactly sure what times you are going but is it a day or monthly return they are directing you to? Also off-peak or anytime? Both produce results about double the other. Som more details would help get to the bottom of it.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 August 2016 at 8:27AM
    Options
    Try a few train operators who don't charge fees. I read on a thread recently that there are basically two booking systems, and they have access to slightly different tickets sometimes. If you find one that used the same system as Trainline it should have the ticket you are after.

If anyone is interested, this is the post I was referring to http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71196666&postcount=5
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Carmen wrote: »
    I have found a good price fare with Trainline, but before I book (first time) are there any negatives that I should look out for?
    Many thanks
    Carmen
    What are the details of the fare? It'll be just as cheap somewhere else, and without the fees. It may even be cheaper from Trainsplit...
  • Carmen
    Options
    I will be leaving Ebbsfleet early evening, then leaving Canterbury mid morning six days later back to Ebbsfleet.

SR = £64

TL + £32 + fee
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Make sure the train station's open to be able to collect the ticket - my works organised a ticket for me and said "collect at the station" - but the station didn't open until an hour after the train left, so I had to get on the train without a ticket.... then worry about how I'd be getting home again later ... first priority was to be where I was supposed to be (on the train) ... in the end, had to get the train station at the other end to phone my boss to pay for a ticket home on his credit card over the phone!

I've not really used many trains - and not used one since as I found it very traumatic :)
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    Options
    I'm getting £32 off peak return from National Rail website, allows you to click through to South Easterns website with no fees if you collect at station or 1st class post, they recommend 5 days for delivery. OK so it's only 75p but....
  • Carmen
    Options
    Thank you all for your help.
    Carmen x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income