Curry's refusing to refund TV as has been switched on

Options
Hi all,

Just wanted to get your thoughts in this. I bought a TV from Currys online and when it arrived I plugged in my set top box and switched the TV on. The standard of picture was nowhere near what I was hoping for what is an expensive TV so unplugged it, went back to using my old TV and contacted Curry's to say I wanted a refund as it wasn't what I was hoping for.

They have told me that because I have switched it on, as per their terms and conditions, it is classed as used and they do not have to refund me.

Is this right? I always thought that turning the TV on was a standard part of checking the product that I would have been able to do in a shop, had it not been a distance purchase.

So anyone know if they are entitled to refuse me a refund because I turned the TV on?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you purchased wholly on line and are within the cancellation period then you are entitled to return for a refund but they can deduct an amount as the item can now only be sold as used.
  • BongoBrierly
    Options
    Is there anywhere I can reference that information from? As if that is the case, they still don't seem interested.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I plugged in my set top box and switched the TV on. The standard of picture was nowhere near what I was hoping for what is an expensive TV

The above consumer information is good - but on the technical side, I wonder what kind of picture you were expecting from whatever set top box this is you're using, it won't be any better than what the box puts out.
    There will also be a host of picture settings you need to go through to set the TV up to your environment.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you post the brand and model number, perhaps someone, with the same, will comment on the quality of picture on their set.

The 'poor' picture could be due to a number of things including set up to personal taste, quality of aerial paid for feed and cable used, whether the best possible picture has been selected according to region (eg in the case of BBC, which has lots of regional outputs) or a faulty set.
  • moneysaver
    moneysaver Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lesson learned. Never buy from Curry's.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts