We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Arts graduates taking any job to get by

Options
2»

Comments

• mumcoll
    mumcoll Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    My DS graduated in 2008 with a 2:1 in Graphic Design. He has been lucky enough to always work in his field - however the first few years were temporary contracts.

Last year he got a job as Technical Demonstrator (in the design department) in a university and this year has got a job as lecturer in Graphic Communication. He also does freelance work. So it is possible but I think you need luck as well as talent (as with most things!)
  • fewgroats
    fewgroats Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Look at Upwork, Peopleperhour and Guru for design jobs.
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
  • horsechestnut
    horsechestnut Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't know if this will appeal to you, but when I went to Ikea to buy my kitchen a few years ago, I was helped by a young man in his early twenties. We got talking and he told me that he was a graphic design graduate and although he was doing a basic job he could use some of his skills on bedroom and kitchen design. He was wonderful, and I am very happy with my kitchen.
    I went in a few months later to tell him how pleased I was with the kitchen and he told me that he was leaving that weekend as he had got a job with a Graphic designer and that his experience at Ikea had helped.
    How I live Up North, so I don't know how things are in your area, or if you even fancy Kitchen or Bedroom design, but I just thought that I would share the idea with you in case it helps.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    I started uni in 2005, graduated in 2010. I get offers to do supply ta work but it's hit or miss. Bar a bit of temping admin inbetween the uni years ive just done care work and manufacturing. Sadly for most niche areas unless you can go down the self employed route then most of us just go to work to pay the bills
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family