Ridiculous banks

Options
Hi all,
I went BR back in June after being left with 40K of debts following sham of a divorce!
Things are looking up now, creditors stopped calling and most sending letters-either way send letters to OR and let him deal with it.
Been in quandry about house as sentimental reasons have been trying to hold onto, but realistically my mortgage is so high its stupid to keep, just worked renting I'll be much better off and no maintenance costs to worry about from the rip off company who puts charges up whenever they feel like it.
Also got myself a real work at home job, in training at mo and its great. Was worried as I had to declare iof I was BR that they would let me go, but explianed my situation and how I ended up BR-no fraud involved and they are happy to still hire me-phew!
I'm still on tax credits but better off and OR shouldnb't want too much if anything off me as have 4 kids and baby on way, so as you canimagine my bills are quite high.
Today though had to ,laugh at bank. Got a letter off Allinace and Leicester who should have been notified iof BR and closed account. I am not in debt to them however they told me that as no regular wage isn going in account they are going to charge me £5 per month until at least £500 per month is going in...how ridiculous, so they are intentional making my account go unofficially overdrawn and then will charge £20 and whatever daily rate is...my question is they can see the account hasn't been used for months, why not close is down...answer...because they would rather it go OD and charge me and fraudiently claim money from me when I wasn't OD...
So do I feel guilty now about going BR....Bloody hell no, if banks purposely use practices like this to make us up to our eyeballs in debts, no...I'm glad I went BR bcos they aint getting any money off me in the future...I don't want credit, I don't want another mortgage as when times are hard and no job there is no assistance for us, only for those who rent. I intend staying debtfree, guiltfree and enjoying a peaceful life from now on...:rotfl:

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    So why don't you close the account down or is that too obvious?

Sorry but the only person being ridiculous here is you. Banks are under no obligation to close accounts just because you've gone BR. I didn't have mine closed and I suspect many on here found the same.

If you choose to keep a dormant account open despite being notified that there'll be a charge applied because of that, then you're the muppet here. And I bet you'd have posted here whingeing about them closing it without your permission if they had done.
  • bobblebot
    Options
    Hey Connor,
    Go climb backunder your bridge...hear trolls are becoming a rare species around here these days! If banks didn't resort to charging when people weren't overdrawn people wouldn't get into such messes in the first place. You don't work for a bank do You?
    So why should I close the account down? I've handed my finances over to the OR so should have nothing to do with them except get in contact with OR? Banks should take repsonsibility for getting customers into these situations...half of the time they don't listen anyway.
    I've been through so much over last 12 months that people like you just make me laugh cos you know what I don't care what you think...I have no debt, probably get no IPA, have a great life now, only work PT few evenings a week, get all day to do my housework, care for kids, and have fun and expecting a lovely baby at xmas. My life now is great and I go:p :p:p:p:p to you BR is the best (if most stressful) thing I've ever done and I have no regrets and I truly don't give a monkey's anymore what people like you or anyone else think!
  • wherediditallgo
    Options
    bobblebot, I would open an account with the Co-op or Barclays - you'll find more info about the accounts available to BRs in the sticky here. Once the account is up & running, transfer any direct debits etc to the new account & close the old one.

I had problems with A&L too when I went BR, & have since had issues with LTSB - my take on it is that I will exercise the rights that the law gives me, but other than that I can't be bothered to waste my energy on them. From your point of view you didn't & still don't owe them money so there's no reason to close the account, but from the bank's point of view, it costs them money to maintain the account, costs which they're now saying they're going to pass on to you. At least they told you about the future charges. :) You're never going to win that argument with them, so just open an account elsewhere & leave them to it. There's no harm in sending a letter to the Customer Services manager explaining why you've closed the account, but don't beg them to let you keep it open - they need you more than you need them.

Have a good day with the children - that's far more important than fighting a bank. :)
  • NekoZombie
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    Whatever. Judging by the obvious stupidity you're displaying, you'll be banking again quite soon...

Mind you, you can always spread your legs again, pop another kid out and let us poor working saps fund an incresae in your income...

Oh, looks like you already have. You'll be getting an extra £100 a week come Xmas then..that'll be nice.

Really, really uncalled for Conor. I think you can make your point without making abusive insinuations.
    BCSC Member 70:j
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Options
    CONOR!

What an absolute plank you are.
  • bobblebot
    Options
    Oh Connor get a life!
    I was married for 13 years, raised 4 kids (w2ho are now 10,11,12 & 14) whilst getting my degree, MSc and doctorate...and working. I have always worked, and paid taxes, so I don't feel bad about claiming tax credits so I can afford now to work PT, instead of doing the 60+ hours I have done for the last ten years whilst trying to be there for my kids. I ended up in debt because of my stupid husband who had no idea of money and lied and because I earned a lot I took half of the debt-me I'm too nice but then when illness & death in the family strikes things can change quickly and BR was the only option.
    I realised what was important and have mad ethe choice now to work PT in the evenings so I can be there for my forthcoming baby, but I am still paying taxes and contributing and I am in the process of researcdhing for a new business venture bthat I am not asking any banks to fund by the way. I set up a business by the way whilst I was working FT which in three years went from earning 2K to 20K working ttwo/hree nights per week and working FT, but had to stop due to illness last year because of nature of work.
    So I already know the new business will be a success, I have no doubts only difference is this is based to fit in with kids and can be done from home. So I will be paying more than my share of taxes soon. I haven't lost my self respect, I have been unemployed only once in my life from last December to a month ago and I know I'll be very successful again. So say what you will, I don't care, all I bother about is doing what's best for me and my children, not saddo's like you, there are people who never ever intend to work and claim benefits and get in debt and don't care one jot. I'm not one of those, if I have to use benefits occasionally at low points in my life then so be it, I can live with it because I know its only a means to an end...that being a better life.:p
  • backontheup
    Options
    Conor, you are a deeply unpleasant individual.
    DISCHARGED 12th December 2007:T

BSC Member #91

Proud to have dealt with my debts
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Whatever. Judging by the obvious stupidity you're displaying, you'll be banking again quite soon...

Mind you, you can always spread your legs again, pop another kid out and let us poor working saps fund an incresae in your income...

Oh, looks like you already have. You'll be getting an extra £100 a week come Xmas then..that'll be nice.

Conor,

Is there any real need to be that uncouth to make a point.:confused::confused:

It sounds as though you haven't got any children so bear in mind that it'll be other people's children's taxes that pay for your health care and pension.
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Firstly to Everyone else - I ACCIDENTALLY pressed the 'Thanks' Button instead of the 'Quote' button - if someone can tell me how to remove 'thanks' I will do so. In the meantime I apologise profoundly if by inadvertantly pressing 'thanks' I have offended anyone.

Conor - I find you a very difficult individual to understand. :confused:

You claim to have gone through bankruptcy yourself - indeed many of your posts would bear this out, and I have seen some sensible, if often brusquely phrased, advice in much of what you post - I've even, in the past, thanked you for posting helpful and informative information (Today's thanks was a mistake).

Why, then, do you have to let yourself down, so often with pointless and offensive threads like today?

It doesn't just offend the OP - it offends the whole ethos of this forum and every genuine poster who posts on it.

If it was your intention to frighten the OP into leaving, or to frighten others away from posting, then you have failed and I'm sure somebody will report your post as 'abusive' and it will be removed.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • wherediditallgo
    Options

What a disgraceful thing to say! You didn't & still don't know all of bobblebot's history, & have no right to make those kinds of comments. Life, with all its pains as well as pleasures, turns in a circle, & you may find yourself having cause to remember the words you wrote her with more than a wince of distaste. Your comment was totally unnecessary. :mad:

People come here for advice & support, & to share & offer assistance where they can. If you have nothing to contribute in any of those areas, then it would be better to take your nasty comments elsewhere. Keep them for people who express themselves the way you do - your talent with words is nothing for any of us to envy. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure