Tumble dryers: energy efficiency

Options
Tumble dryers are rated according to an energy label.

160814_energy_label.gif

They are rated according to energy consumption per year, i.e. kWh/year. This is given as a precise figure.

However, dryers with a lower energy ratings may have a good annual consumption figure and vice versa. Why is this?

My Hotpoint TVFM70B is a vented version, a B, 266 kWh/year.

The John Lewis JLTDH18 is a heat pump version, an A+ at 260 kWh/year. Not significantly better than my vented.

The Hotpoint TCM580BP condenser also a B rises to a dreadful 628 kWh/year.

An A+++ Grundig heat pump achieves 177 kWh per year.

Many heat pump dryers have very poor annual consumption figures.
I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    211 kWh for our A++? heat pump Samsung, best we could find that wasn't £800 or so :)

Hate having a tumble dryer, but made a lot of sense with a baby.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 August 2016 at 1:59PM
    Options
    Hi

I seem to remember a previous discussion around this and have a feeling that the efficiency takes the load capacity & recycling of heat into account along with the control/monitoring functionality.

If it's a basic extractor it's dumping the humid warm air and domestic pre-heated air outside, condensing units recycle some of the energy and heat-pumps have an energy to heat multiplying factor through extraction of heat from the air and humidity water content on pump the evaporator side, which causes condensation (drying) and redelivering the energy as heat on the condenser side so some/most of the energy required is recycled, with any waste heat benefiting the domestic environment.

The monitoring/control can have a huge impact, some units will have a simple timed circuit, whilst others will continually sample/monitor the internal humidity and end the cycle when it is below a set threshold thus reducing the likelihood of wasting energy through unnecessarily long cycles.

Of course, efficiency labels will also assume optimal loading, so an appliance with triple the capacity using triple the energy should achieve a similar efficiency rating. If the consumer is dumb enough to buy (or, worse still, allow a sales-assistant on commission to sell them) a massive freezer, washing machine, dishwasher or tumble dryer (... etc) when a smaller unit would have been more appropriate, therefore underutilising the capacity and efficiency, then it's not really an efficiency-rating issue .. ;) ..

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    This was discussed some time ago. IIRC the efficiency rating relates to how well a machine operates when filled to xx% of capacity(70%??) not how efficient it is at drying a given weight of different materials.

e.g. a machine with a small capacity might be more efficient(using the test criteria) than a large capacity machine. However the annual cost of running the larger capacity machine would be lower.

So a high efficiency, low capacity, machine could need to run 100 cycles to wash, say, 300kG of mixed washing, but a lower efficiency, higher capacity, machine wash the same load in, say 50 cycles.

Edit, posts crossed.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

I seem to remember a previous discussion around this and have a feeling that the efficiency takes the load capacity & recycling of heat into account along with the control/monitoring functionality.

If it's a basic extractor it's dumping the humid warm air and domestic pre-heated air outside, condensing units recycle some of the energy and heat-pumps have an energy to heat multiplying factor through extraction of heat from the air and humidity water content on pump the evaporator side, which causes condensation (drying) and redelivering the energy as heat on the condenser side so some/most of the energy required is recycled, with any waste heat benefiting the domestic environment.

The monitoring/control can have a huge impact, some units will have a simple timed circuit, whilst others will continually sample/monitor the internal humidity and end the cycle when it is below a set threshold thus reducing the likelihood of wasting energy through unnecessarily long cycles.

Of course, efficiency labels will also assume optimal loading, so an appliance with triple the capacity using triple the energy should achieve a similar efficiency rating. If the consumer is dumb enough to buy (or, worse still, allow a sales-assistant on commission to sell them) a massive freezer, washing machine, dishwasher or tumble dryer (... etc) when a smaller unit would have been more appropriate, therefore underutilising the capacity and efficiency, then it's not really an efficiency-rating issue .. ;) ..

HTH
    Z
    I wonder how much energy is used manufacturing the energy efficiency labels? :D
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    I wonder how much energy is used manufacturing the energy efficiency labels? :D

That's a rather sticky issue! ;)

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments.

The weight capacities vary only slightly in the main, e.g. 7 or 8 kilograms. I would focus upon the annual price of energy consumed as a good proxy for comparison. Few heat pump dryers offer a significant improvement over the best vented dryers.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments.

The weight capacities vary only slightly in the main, e.g. 7 or 8 kilograms. I would focus upon the annual price of energy consumed as a good proxy for comparison. Few heat pump dryers offer a significant improvement over the best vented dryers.
    Hi

Main difference would simply be whether the heat recovery (/usage) from the more expensive technologies would actually be used ... for example, if the dryer was in an outbuilding (stables etc) or garage then it's lost anyway ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tumble dryers tend to be used most in winter, when household heating is needed. Vented ones will push air out the house which will get replaced with cold outside air, and you'll need more energy to replace the loss. They also release little heat in to the house, just a bit I suppose from the case getting warm. A heat pump dryer will go through various, more complex stages in moving heat around, but ultimately I assume it delivers the same amount of heating to the house as running an electric fire of the same wattage. So, for people who heat their house with electricity, using a condenser dryer during the winter should result in little or no change to their heating costs - assuming they don't leave the dryer on while they're out, which they really shouldn't anyway for safety. People who heat with gas will see some increase in their energy costs, but they are also getting the benefit of drying clothes.

Of course, waste heat has no benefit if you install the dryer somewhere you don't need any heating, or use it during the warm weather. Depends how you use them really, but dryers aren't necessarily the energy hog people think they are. We live in a relatively small, well insulated house and get much of our heating from waste heat. Mostly from the gas cooker, but also some from the condenser dryer. Our tumble drying happens to follow heating needs pretty well, because both depend on the weather.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the last few years, we just hang the washing out in the warmer month, so the tumble dryer only gets full use in winter. So, the difference in money is probably £10, £20 a year?

I have had washer/dryer as well, which are of course condensing.
    Not had a heat pump one, but I see they are listed as condensing.
    Let me just say, there is NO SUBSTITUTE for the dryness you can achieve with a proper vented dryer.

The only thing that comes close is a Miele washer/dryer I bought for a tenant.

In general, condensing sucks.
  • purple_hamster
    Options
    My dryer (only used in the cold, dark months) takes such a long time. It can take 90 mins to dry a normal load of washing, longer for towels. Mine is a condenser. My friend has a vented one and it takes 30-45 mins to dry a load. I often wonder if they take into account drying time. Does mine really use less energy in over an hour than hers does in half that time?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure