NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Final Fantasy XV - Xbox One or PS4?

edited 7 November 2016 at 5:16PM in Gaming MoneySaving
6 replies 2.1K views
MrsDrinkMrsDrink Forumite
4.5K Posts
edited 7 November 2016 at 5:16PM in Gaming MoneySaving
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/xbox-consoles-games-deals

Hi Guys,

So I'm super excited that FFXV is being released on 30th Sept. In order to play it I will need a new console. (We have had PS1, PS2, Xbox and Xbox 360s but neither of us are massive gamers - we will like one or two titles, play them religiously then let it gather dust).

My first question is - will the game be exactly the same on the Xbox One and the PS4?

Assuming there is no benefit of one format over the other, my next question is which console should I get? Given that the Xbox One is cheaper, does that mean it's the best console to get just to play FFXV? Is there any benefits of paying another £60 (or so) for the PS4?

Thanks!

Replies

• Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The PS4 has a more powerful graphics card which means it tends to offer slightly better image quality although it can depend on the developer how that works in practice, sometimes the PS4 offers a better resolution but the Xbox One has a more stable framerate. You'd need to wait and see reviews to see how Final Fantasy compares that way.

I prefer the Xbox One controller over the PS4 controller, the Xbox controller feels a bit more solid and comfortable and I dislike the touchpad on the PS4 which almost always seems to be used for pointless actions.

Normally I'd say other reasons to consider a console are the exclusives that interest you most and what format your friends have if you want to play online with them or swap discs but it sounds like neither will make a difference for your use.

John
  • ineedineed Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I personally have preordered it for PS4 rather than Xbox one, simply because having always played FF games on PlayStation consoles I like to keep that tradition. The game will be the same on both platforms iirc.

Regarding which you should get I'd suggest having a look at what sort of games are already available and will be available on each platform and which you'd prefer to play.
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
  • edited 8 August 2016 at 9:27PM
    MrsDrinkMrsDrink Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    edited 8 August 2016 at 9:27PM
    Thank you both for replying!
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    The PS4 has a more powerful graphics card which means it tends to offer slightly better image quality although it can depend on the developer how that works in practice, sometimes the PS4 offers a better resolution but the Xbox One has a more stable framerate. You'd need to wait and see reviews to see how Final Fantasy compares that way.
    It's really hard isn't it. I want to be able to play on launch day (I'm not the most patient of people). I have seen a couple of youtube clips where they have the FFXV demo being played on the PS4 and XBox One alongside each other. And in my layman's eyes the PS4's graphics seemed... softer for want of a better description. But there was talk about the framerate dropping more on the PS4 compared to the XBox One. But whether all that equates to £60 worth more enjoyment on the PS4 I really can't say!! Plus it's a demo! Hopefully any bugs etc will be ironed out for the main (well that's what the developers have said :rotfl: ).
    ineed wrote: »
    I personally have preordered it for PS4 rather than Xbox one, simply because having always played FF games on PlayStation consoles I like to keep that tradition. The game will be the same on both platforms iirc.
    I know right!! It was the FF series that got me into gaming. I play the odd game; like I used to enjoy Tomb Raider; and I admit to loving Grand Theft Auto. But in my mind FF and Sony go together like peas and carrots. :rotfl:

The MSE in me says go with the XBox - either way I'll be happy. They're still awesome graphics compared to the first PS and first FF game I played! £60 is a big saving and would cover the cost of the game... but then the Sony Fanboi in me screams loud and clear!! :rotfl:
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The Xbox is certainly a good deal at the moment as Microsoft have pretty much shot themselves in the foot twice by announcing not just a replacement to the current Xbox (which is in short supply) but vague details on a successor console so it's no surprise that sales which were struggling anyway have plummeted.

If there's no other exclusives that interest you on either platform, you'd be as well waiting for the Final Fantasy reviews - it may be both platforms are similar or the title could perform better on one which would make your decision easier.

John
  • MrsDrinkMrsDrink Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Thanks for the help!

I have just this minute purchased a PS4 for £239 from Simplygames. Hopefully I've done the right thing! :D I figured at only £40 more than the Xbox that extra... graphics (?) may be worth it. Now to decide on whether to carry on saving for the release day - or say sod it and research which game to get..... I'm wondering whether the PS4 version of GTAV is really that much better/different than the one we've completed on the XBox 360.
  • Bigphil1474Bigphil1474 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had GTA V on the PS3 and got it free with my PS4 - the graphics were vastly improved and I enjoyed playing it more on PS4, but the game is basically the same and, as I'd completed it on PS3, it didn't stay in my collection long. Mind you, you should be able to pick it up at a bargain price now, so might still be worth getting it. Not sure how much it is from the PS store. The main games I'm playing on PS4 at the moment are
    Fallout 4 - excellent if you like exploring a vast world, collecting junk, making stuff, and shooting things. Big main story and loads of side missions.
    Battlefront Star Wars - nice to dip into with mates to do some mindless shooting - hadn't played BF before but a big star wars fan so am enjoying it.
    Fifa 15 - waiting for 17 as I skipped 16 due to it being so bad. Fortunately got 17 on pre-order half price.
    Project Cars - older game played every so often. Great driving game but needs a bit of setting up, more of a driving sim, than an arcade driving game.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals