Two jobs and tax codes

Options
ti1980
ti1980 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
When you have 2 jobs, does the 2nd job always have a tax code of BR?

What happens if you have 2 jobs and you still don't earn over your personal allowance for the year (is that £4600-ish?), can you claim any tax back paid at the BR rate? :confused:

So confusing, thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ti1980 wrote:
    When you have 2 jobs, does the 2nd job always have a tax code of BR?

Usually, yes as your personal allowance is in the code used for the first job.
    What happens if you have 2 jobs and you still don't earn over your personal allowance for the year (is that £4600-ish?), can you claim any tax back paid at the BR rate? :confused:

So confusing, thanks in advance for any replies.

Yes, you should get a tax refund. Once you have both P60s give your tax office a call. It should be as simple as sending both P60s to the tax office, but they may want you to complete a short tax return.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you think your income isn't going to be more than your personal allowance (£4895 in 05/06) you can ask for your allowance to be split over your 2 jobs.
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my wife has two jobs and spoke to the local tax office, they split the allowance..... so now she has no problems with paying tax when she shoulnt
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • ti1980
    Options
    Eek! I don't think I have either of the P60's. What can I do?
    I'm pretty sure that for the 1st job I was never given one.
  • System
    Options
    If you are trying to claim back tax for the 2004/05 tax year which has just ended (5th April) then you might not have received your P60's yet but you should receive one from each of your employers by the end of May. Failing that your employers should have given your pay and tax details to the Inland Revenue and you can contact them and ask them to review the 04/05 tax year. They will do that themselves eventually during this year but you contacting them will mean you will get your refund earlier.
    Contact the office which deals with the employment at which you get your allowances as they are your main tax office. You can also ask them in the letter to split your allowances over your 2 jobs if you wish during this current tax year 05/06.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the total earnings from the two jobs is below the personal allowance, I wonder if the HM Revenue and Customs can issue non-BR tax codes for both jobs? If they can this may mean that the any adjustment at year-end is likely to be less. But you run the risk of owing the taxman money if you increase your hours or you get a wage increase.

I think you will need to check the postion each year, however your tax codes are 'juggled'.

What I would say, though, if one of your jobs ever earns more than the personal allowance, but the other is still below, make sure you have the BR code on the job with earnings less that the personal allowance!
  • ti1980
    Options
    This is actually going back a couple of years, when I was still a student.

Who do I need to get in touch with and what do I do about the missing P60's?
  • System
    Options
    If you are in employment now I would contact your tax office and ask them to review the year in question. Without the P60's you will need to confirm the full names, addresses and tax references of the employers just in case the IR don't have them and they should be able to chase up the details. This is provided the employers were operating PAYE and were legal.

If you are not in employment just go to your nearest Inland Revenue Enquiry Centre and ask them to set the ball in motion.
  • ti1980
    Options
    Right, I will make sure I get it done on my day off.

Where do I go about finding my nearest Inland Revenue Enquiry Centre? :confused:
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ti1980 wrote:
    Right, I will make sure I get it done on my day off.

Where do I go about finding my nearest Inland Revenue Enquiry Centre? :confused:

Google! :)

I've done it for you. Put your location in here on the Inland Revenue website
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure