Solar PV viability?

Options
I had solar pv 4 kwp installed in the early days so was on full tarrif. We moved a week ago so left 6 or 7 k in debit.
I know things have changed a lot, but on our old system we had a digital electricity import meter whereas here its a whirling disc. I seem to remember that this meant it went backwards when you exported and you effectively then used 100% of your generation. Is that correct? Does the existence of the old meter make solar pv more worthwhile that if a modern digital meter is installed?

Comments

• Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, it means that you import meter is not working correcty and you are acting illegally as you need to inform your supplier of the change otherwise you are not paying for some of the electricity you should be purchasing. Is that not fraud.... if you did it, of course!

Import and export measurements are separate.

Surprised you say you move and are left in debt but assume you have left your system on the old house (was it not factored in the selling cost?) So presume you are getting a new installation at your new house?........or have I misunderstood? Are they rental properties? Considering there may be more to think about than just the meter!
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,624 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not all meters go backwards just because they have a disc. I'm not aware you have to notify your supplier that you have solar panels and unless you watch your meter constantly would you notice it spinning the opposite way?

BTW you must have paid over the odds for your panels or had poor generation if you were £7k in debit after being on the full FIT. Ours were fitted in 2011 and we hit payback last month.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    Options
    Further to my post......not implying any reader would knowingly break the law intentionally of course :)

You install a system that makes your meter go backwards or just not read correctly. Do you not have a duty to get that sorted?
    Consider the Electricity Act 1989 , and link below:
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/7/crossheading/interference-with-meters see 11.1(b)
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's pushing it a bit to say that installing PV is interference with the meter.

But I can't believe that anyone with a PV system wouldn't have noticed the meter spinning backwards at some point. I occasionally stick my head in the meter cupboard to see if I'm generating more than I'm using.

My import meter is a spinning disc one, but it has a ratchet mechanism so it never does more than one turn backwards before it stops.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    My import meter is a spinning disc one, but it has a ratchet mechanism so it never does more than one turn backwards before it stops.

My old spinning disk meter does the same as above. Cheers
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    My old spinning disk meter does the same as above. Cheers
    Mine too !

Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought that the installer had an obligation to check the main meter as part of the installation. I have a spinning meter and I know that it doesn't turn backwards. Like many others, I do not have an export meter, so I get export payments for 50% of the energy that I generate. This will change from mid- 2018 onwards when, if the CMA Report is to be believed, the Government will insist that all future domestic meter replacements are Smart. (No doubt some clever civil serpent's way of negating the present policy of the consumers the right to say 'no').
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure