Options
2»

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BabyDoll wrote: »
    No call centres open at 6am, one I'm at open's at 8AM for email part but calls don't start until 9am.

That's fair enough. But I do know some banking and insurance call centres are open 24 hours a day so it does happen!.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BabyDoll wrote: »
    I'm working in a call center doing 40 hours a week monday to friday. 9AM to 5PM

I'm in training stage right now but this week they gave us the after training rota/hours which state they want us to do 11 hours monday, wednesday, thursday, friday and 9 while 4 on saturdays.

Irrespective of the issue around when the hours are you seem to be suggesting 51hrs (presumably less breaks) - Is this right ?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 31 July 2016 at 5:08PM
    Options
    Who is saying no to your request, and who did you originally speak to about your needs?
    I think I would be sending a polite e-mail to your current line-manager (which may be your trainer) cc'd to those two people.

Explicitly remind them of your disability (use that word) and that you made clear to your interview that the reasonable adjustment (use that term) you would need would be that you did not work later than 5, and that you were told that would be accommodated.

Explain that you have now been told that you will be expected to work 8-7 and ask whether you can meet with HR in order to discuss making reasonable adjustments to your shift pattern.

Employers have to make reasonable adjustments for employees with disabilities but they do have to have actual knowledge of the disability.Although it sounds as though you were very upfront about it, and they were aware of it before they offered you the job, stating specifically in the e-mail which you send that you have a disability and are making a request for reasonable adjustments ensures that they do have that specific knowledge, if it had not previously been included in your personnel file, which helps t protect you if they wanted to back track, but also if the issue is that the scheduler is not fully in the loop using those terms should hopefully trigger their memory / awareness of equality issues.

How large is the workforce? The larger it is, the more likely it is that it will be reasonable for them to offer you shorter shifts.

Do you know whether everyone works this kind of shift pattern or is this still part of the training?

ETA - are you a member of a union? If not, consider joining one. They may not be able to help with this issue if you join after it becomes a problem, but it can't hurt, and may be useful if you run into any further problems
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure