We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What's wrong with my tomatoes?!

Options
Midas
Midas Posts: 596 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 28 July 2016 at 1:21PM in Gardening
Hello everyone

I currently have three tomato plants growing outdoors, and one of them has started to look rather unhappy. It has quite a lot of fruit on but some of them have, over the past few days, started to look rather unhappy - with brownish, wrinkly skins.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for looking!

IMG_1037_zpswf97xchu.jpg
IMG_1038_zpsquyiy1xt.jpg
IMG_1037_zpswf97xchu.jpg.html
Midas.

Comments

• Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Midas I think I can see some damage to the stem as well. If so it might be Tobacco Mosaic virus. Not good if it is. Here's a link to the RHS site which might help you.
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=250
  • madjackslam
    madjackslam Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd suggest it might be blight. Are the foliage and stems affected as well? Most of the foliage looks OK from the pictures.
  • madjackslam
    madjackslam Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually, this recent tweet from the RHS looks spot on for you, I'm afraid - https://twitter.com/The_RHS/status/758631857172774912
  • firebird082
    firebird082 Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks similar to ours - we've had 1 tomato plant of about 12 in the greenhouse (more hole than glass...) affected so far - pulled it out and disposed of it assuming it was blight, but I think the rest might be in the early stages. Just hoping we can salvage some of the tomatoes really! :(
  • Midas
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies. Is it worth spraying for blight, with an anti-fungal spray?
    Midas.
  • Midas
    Options
    I'd suggest it might be blight. Are the foliage and stems affected as well? Most of the foliage looks OK from the pictures.

I had previously removed some dodgy looking foliage last week. Here are a couple of examples
    IMG_1042_zps8arddgps.jpg

IMG_1046_zpshveul8bs.jpg
    Midas.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,296 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Midas wrote: »
    Thanks all for the replies. Is it worth spraying for blight, with an anti-fungal spray?

No, none available to the home gardener work these days.

Those that did have long since been withdrawn from sale to us plebs due to environmental contamination problems
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Arthog
    Arthog Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On our local radio gardening programme last week, there was a 'history lesson' about people in the past using diluted milk sprayed on to tomato plants, to deal with Blight, which used to work.
    Isn't that interesting! Of course we are not allowed to mention it nowadays as it is not a permitted substance etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure