Elmlea in Victoria Sponge Cake

glider3560glider3560 Forumite
4.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
I was in Iceland earlier and intended to buy double cream to make a Victoria Sponge Cake, to take into work tomorrow. They only had Elmlea double cream alternative. It said it was suitable for whipping so didn't think anything of it.

Got it home and made it cake. Cream alternative whipped up really easily with some icing sugar and vanilla.

But, I'm now worried that something bad will happen (e.g. the cake will absorb the Elmlea) or it will just sink! Has anyone substituted the cream for whipped Elmlea before and left it in the fridge overnight?

Replies

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont know but I would always do the cream for a cake at the very last possible moment ie
    in the morning.

To be honest, I only like jam in my sponge anway
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling it might shrink and go watery, I had a similar experience with a low fat alternative cream cheese . It probably would have been fine for immediate consumption, but not to keep over night.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • rosie383rosie383 Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I echo the others. If you haven't already put it in the cake, I'd leave it all ready to put together in the morning.
    Mind you, I have used Elmlea many times and never had a problem with it going watery, but I can't honestly remember it ever making the cake soggy.
    Let us know the outcome so we all know for future reference. Hope it's yummy!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • homerdoghomerdog Forumite
    107 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts
    We keep a carton of Elmlea in the fridge "just in case". Hubby often decides to make a cake to take out with us and the long sell by/use by date makes it ideal. We have had no ill effects from using Elmlea in cakes at all.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I was in Iceland earlier and intended to buy double cream to make a Victoria Sponge Cake, to take into work tomorrow. They only had Elmlea double cream alternative. It said it was suitable for whipping so didn't think anything of it.

Got it home and made it cake. Cream alternative whipped up really easily with some icing sugar and vanilla.

But, I'm now worried that something bad will happen (e.g. the cake will absorb the Elmlea) or it will just sink! Has anyone substituted the cream for whipped Elmlea before and left it in the fridge overnight?
    As a teenager I was very fond of making sponge cakes, covering them with whipped cream and leaving them in the fridge. Fresh cream was fine, but I once used a synthetic cream instead and it congealed into a waxy mess overnight. The cake tasted ok, once the rind had been peeled off!

We are going back the best part of 30 years now so I'm not sure quite what it was, but I have a feeling it came out of a tin :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just had a peek in the fridge and it looks ok - not collapsed or gone watery. I'll taste a bit of the "cream" before I leave home later on.
  • rosie383rosie383 Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good. The cream should still taste the same. Enjoy!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides