Sign a petition to to Raise Awareness of the Dangers of Distracted Driving

New Post Advanced Search

Sign a petition to to Raise Awareness of the Dangers of Distracted Driving

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Campaigns Corner
9 replies 6.6K views
Anica85Anica85 Forumite
32 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Campaigns Corner
We believe a national safety campaign should be created that clearly and memorably restates the law and highlights the dangers and impact of using a hand-held device when driving.

More details
Whilst it has been illegal to use a handheld mobile phone when driving since 2003, there is significant research that shows motorists continue to use their devices incorrectly:

- 95% of motorists stated that they regularly see other drivers looking at their phones in stationary traffic

- DoT figures show that motorists using their phones were involved in 3,611 crashes between 2009 and 2014.

- 1 in 5 UK motorists admit accessing social networking sites on their mobile phone while driving.

To support please sign the petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/132755

You can also test your reactions to hazards compare with your friends, others like you, and the nation: http://www.motors.co.uk/time-to-stop/

Replies

• robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Why a another useless petition.?

Are you also going to make people stop changing the radio station, stop smoking, stop eating food in their cars. These cause crashes as well.

I would just ban the culprits for 1 year instead of points.

That will get through a lot better to the masses than yet another petition !!
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • marleyboymarleyboy Forumite
    16.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - 95% of motorists stated that they regularly see other drivers looking at their phones in stationary traffic

So that works out at 5% of drivers looking at their phones. Not nearly enough to need a petition.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    marleyboy wrote: »
    The other 5% are too busy reading their next delivery sheet to notice what is going on around them
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    11.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's wrong with looking at your phone in stationary traffic?
  • antrobusantrobus Forumite
    17.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anica85 wrote: »
    ....- DoT figures show that motorists using their phones were involved in 3,611 crashes between 2009 and 2014....

If you look at the DoT figures for 2014, there were indeed 492 accidents where 'Driver using mobile phone' was a contributory factor, out of a total of 115,673. On the other hand, 'dazzling sun' was responsible for 2,822 crashes etc and so forth.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/reported-road-casualties-great-britain-annual-report-2014

It's not exactly the most significant cause of car crashes.
  • parking_question_chapparking_question_chap Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    marleyboy wrote: »

So that works out at 5% of drivers looking at their phones. Not nearly enough to need a petition.

What?

How does that work. I dont think somebody understands how statistics work.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can imagine a new factor creeping into accident statistics to do with phones.

Playing Pokemon Go while driving.
  • SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If 95% of people see other drivers using their phones, i think it's safe to presume that a lot of those 95% are policemen. They already know it's against the law without needing a petition to remind them.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • TigsteroonieTigsteroonie Forumite
    24.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anica85 wrote: »

Not just stationary traffic, I often see people trying to look at and sometimes text on their phones while driving. Including a plonker woman yesterday, weaving in her lane; when I pulled alongside (when it went 2 lanes) I could clearly see her looking down at her phone rather than up at the traffic.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support