Action Cam (for Cycling)

Hi all.

I'm looking to get some kind of Cam (Action Cam) for when I go cycling. Looking towards Mountain Biking more than road.

Any suggest a decent Cam that will fit comfortably on a helmet. Having said that, what are handle bar attachments like?

I have a Garmin Edge 1000, so thought of getting one of the Garmin Cams.. but really don't know what to do for the best.

Anyone have recommendation?
If I've help in anyway, please remember to thank me :-)

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have a Garmin Virb and am quite happy with it. It is fairly heavy, but is reasonably well balanced. I don't mountain bike so use it for road only. There is a higher level version (the elite?) with GPS which provides more functionality.

You could also consider a handlebar mount. Some people prefer that. Look at some videos and work out which you prefer.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    If you don't have a set budget, the GoPro cameras are pretty good.

IMO they're a bit overpriced but lots of accessories, easy to use and very robust.

I used one of the GoPro replica type action cameras off Amazon and it's worlds apart from the GoPro build & video quality wise.

If doing mountain biking, skip the handlebar mounts. Too much vibration and results in poor video. Helmet is pretty good but i use a chest mount with mines that goes on via straps.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    You can control the Virb's via the Edge or a number of other Garmin products i.e. stop/start take image etc. You can also overlay metrics. You can't do that with the GoPro's.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    You can control the Virb's via the Edge or a number of other Garmin products i.e. stop/start take image etc. You can also overlay metrics. You can't do that with the GoPro's.

You can overlay metrics quite easily with GoPro footage. Just stick your footage and gps file into the free Virb edit software and it does the rest. You can add whatever data you want, wherever you want it.
    This is a couple of minutes of a ride out with my mate, using a GoPro Hero Session and Virb Edit software. My current preference is for the chest mount, as it's fairly unobtrusive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcxLS8NfyJY
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • The Go Pro is the better choice, IMO. Make sure you get the waterproof casing as well (makes for interesting shots if you fall in a puddle - or entertain yourself on a rainy day by trying to reenact Finding Dory with three goldfish and a Shubumpkin in the pond).
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family