PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yup.

'baccy tin for a fob, cigarette case for a key-less card: not only stops naughtiness but also protects* them if they're dropped.

* Priced a replacement lately?:eek:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Witless wrote: »
    Yup.

'baccy tin for a fob, cigarette case for a key-less card: not only stops naughtiness but also protects* them if they're dropped.

* Priced a replacement lately?:eek:
    :) Dunno, my family and pal all drive older cars, it's expensive enough getting a key for a vehicle with central locking.

My pal with the juntique shop can't keep silver cigarette cases for more than a couple of days before selling them, ditto the chazzer nearby with silver-plated ones. We'd wondered why as they're too small for modern ciggies, but they're possibly being put to alternative uses.

Ahem, they used to be sold to Italy as the Italian man-about-town would use them as condom carriers; go into a singles bar and lay your cigarette case down conspiciously on the bar and you were stating a definate intent........:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Up at silly o clock this morning as He Who Knows was going fishing with the lark (and my brother) and made more noise trying to be quiet than he does on the rampage! so I turned on the news and went to CNN as it's a different take on what happens in the world and Monsieur le Trump is being his usual charming self at the NATO meeting and choosing his words with his usual degree of consideration and delicacy for the company he finds himself in before going off to see his bestest mate Vlad in Finnylande to tell him how useless the rest of the planet is and how unlucky they all are not to be Americans because they are not as great again as his country is! Oh why, oh why, oh why???
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    Thanks GQ. I'll say! :)

Two further SHTF's this week here...

First my computer power supply started overheating, so I could only use it for 5 mins before it shut down. Then yesterday someone cloned my credit card, so I am presently without one.

I managed to get a new power supply delivered this morning, but was I able to get my computer working again? It just beeps continuously and nothing comes on the screen. Even the old power supply now has the same effect, so the board must have been damaged when I was changing the power leads. I was so careful too!

I'm now on the Windows 7 machine I bought in 2014, but I can't work out how to set it so it only requires a single moue click. Anyone know?

Re the computer overheating in the first place - and wondering if it was connected with the current spell of hot weather?

Admitted I've been struggling ever since I moved here to get "normal" computer reliability (and the computer itself is the same one I moved here with - though I had the hard drive swopped a few weeks back).

With so much work having been done on my computer recently and it was still losing Internet connection frequently - I've been advised it may be the heat. So - right now - I've got my pedestal fan standing blasting away at the computer and I "think" that is doing the trick and I can "go back to normal and put that fan away" once the temperature in my house goes back down again to its usual somewhere-in-the-vicinity-of-21C.
    Options
    On a different tack - someone remind me never to plant comfrey plants again in a small garden and then change my mind:(. I dug the pair of them up and spotted a shoot or two coming up afterwards and cue for removing the leftover bit of root and the shoot a couple of times now and thinking "Done it - all clear now".

This morning - I've spotted 3 shoots coming up in the garden there.

Think I'd better just chop down what I see above the surface there each time and forget about trying to remove at "roots down beneath surface level".:(
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    It's renowned for being so deep that we'll never get the smallest bit of snapped root out. I worry about putting it on the plot too because although I have it where I want it I might scupper plans for someone coming in after me but its essential for my plans in self suffiencet fertiliser so I kind of need it.

Strangely enough I'm in dispute with an eBay seller. My comfrey root cuttings are doing zilch. Not like comfrey at all. The seller will send me more roots if I send them back at my own expense. Thankfully its ebay but I am still quoting him Trading Standards jargon. See what he says he says at that. I'll send them back when he sends me an SAE and if he doesn't I'll ask ebay to step in.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 July 2018 at 8:56AM
    Options
    On a different tack - someone remind me never to plant comfrey plants again in a small garden and then change my mind:(. I dug the pair of them up and spotted a shoot or two coming up afterwards and cue for removing the leftover bit of root and the shoot a couple of times now and thinking "Done it - all clear now".

This morning - I've spotted 3 shoots coming up in the garden there.

Think I'd better just chop down what I see above the surface there each time and forget about trying to remove at "roots down beneath surface level".:(

I take it you would not countenance 'Roundup', Money? I put Roundup gel on any little blackberries that come up in my flower bed, as it's pointless just pulling the tops off.

Regarding my pc, the fan in the power supply actually no longer rotated. I swapped it with a fan from the previous power supply, but it was still dead. However, sadly, as you can see, I have somehow fouled up the rest of the pc with my fiddling.

BTW: One little bonus of the Windows 7 machine... It stays logged into MSE! :)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jk0 sorry you've had a bad week!

My laptop stays logged in to MSE too - never occurred to me that it might be becuase it runs Win7 :D
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2018 at 9:19AM
    Options
    Got it in one jkO - the thought hadnt even crossed my mind of Round Up:rotfl:. Now you've said that - I'll give some thought to whether I can figure out an organic alternative to that.

I know I've had some success with pouring (loads of) boiling water onto unwanted weeds sometimes.

I'll do a bit of googling for "organic spot weedkiller" and see if anything comes up.

I'd only consider "summat chemical" if something really nasty/problematic appeared - eg Japanese Knotweed. That won't happen directly in my own garden - as I keep such a close eye on it that I'd spot owt nasty the second it came up and be able to deal with it naturally before it had a chance to take hold.

I'm not saying just what I used on "summat nasty" that I realised was rather close to my land and had had a chance to take hold - don't ask as to what it was or owt else :cool::whistle::silenced:
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 July 2018 at 10:39AM
    Options
    Yes Kittie, I asked for the skirtings to be removed. Looks swish. When I replace upstairs that will be the same. Present laminate upstairs (Homebase) looks ok with the beading but I much prefer the clean lines downstairs. I dont have a lot of traffic just me and the cats most of the time but love the quickstep. Meant to say that I do have washable rugs down too in Winter to cosy it up a little. They need to be washable as cats like a nice clean rug to throw up on!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure