PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) But if Lyn's going to be in a three bedroom home in the future, surely that's two spare bedrooms and plenty of space for preps? Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick (wouldn't be the first time)?

Re preps; if the economy is functioning, money is the best prep. It can buy you goods and services, the strength of someone's back to move things you can't move yourself, the skill in someone's fingertips to do something you can't do yourself. Money doesn't take up much room and is easy to move around.

If the economy is malfunctioning, such as hyper-inflating, assets which can hold value protect wealth. If the economy has fallen over completely, you're down to such grub you can store/ grow/ forage/ hunt/ barter for and such goods as you have on hand or can barter for.

We need potable water more urgently than we need food, and we need food more urgently than we need clean clothing and other durables.

I have long had concerns that the very high standards of modern life, entirely dependant on electricity, have left many people at a loss of simpler ways to do things. An example would be that one's shower has broken. Some modern people appear to never have encountered the concept of a strip wash so their minds are locked into a false idea that no shower = filthy me. And that this is a disaster, an emergency etc.

Nope, not having modern conveniences isn't anything of that nature, it's simply being less convenient and less comfortable than one's wont to be in the modern era. Which is why everyone should go camping and practise doing what the proverbial bears do in the woods; toughens you up and makes you appreciate the comforts.

Picture this; a remote island somewhere on the edge of the world. GQ and Pal, who have been roughing it for some time, finally have to buy some beds somewhere under a roof (a B & B).

Exploring our new domain, I exit the bathroom saying excitedly; Pal! They've got a heated towel rail !!!!!!!! *does happy dance*

Pal: Great! We can wash our socks ! :rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi hope i find you all well......with the increasing effects of automation on society we may find ourselves increasingly irrelevant factors of production and with software innovations may affect accountants, solicitors or at least assistants it will be interesting to see how government will deal with so much potential unemployment....... off to weigh in later SW and tomorrow morning a CT urogram lovely got 2 years left of current contract after being privatised cant have carers on 13 pound an hour 2 years to prep for a pontential SHTF
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Quite correct GQ we will have 3 bedrooms but currently looking at 1930's style houses to get us the garden we want and they have two decent sized and one minute bedrooms which will become the study (the tiny one)and He Who Knows fishing equipment store!!! The smaller of the remaining will be the spare room/have to store anything we need to keep room so I need to drastically reduce what I have whilst not getting rid of anything that we need as opposed to think we need. I've got loads of things stashed away that 'might come in useful one day' and that is what I have to ruthlessly cull along with all the home made preserves that are inhabiting quite a lot of the shelving in the current store room!
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrsL

Could you build a shed out of off cuts of wood or get one from freecycle maybe? Would some items be safe in a loft?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Gosh that is a tricky problem. I am definitely going to move into a property the same size or with potential to add conservatory and workshop. I have hobbies, I need to get on and do my carving, I want to get a band saw. My hobbies are very varied sewing, knitting, spinning and the wood crafts. I want to get a rowing machine to go with my rebounder and inverter. I look after my own health and body, I try to keep strong and I straighten myself out, expand my disc spaces and feel myself grow taller when I invert

Yes ok, I am gliding into my 7th decade but that does not mean that my mind or body stops and I am certainly looking forward to another 2 decades. I have three bikes, all different purposes. I use one at the moment because the lanes are so muddy, the other two will enable me to cycle much further and one will fold up to go in the boot, so I can go further afield. The lanes around the area I am looking at are far less muddy and go for miles and miles with hardly any cars

I have done the full MK and have re-homed the equivalent of a small house but that is it, finished. What I have left now is hobby stuff, allotment stuff, personal stuff like clothes, beds and bedding, grandchildren and family do come to stay. Furniture for different purposes, including one very good but bulky massage chair that I bought for my husband 12 years ago. It could go but will not need to, it can go into a conservatory. It gives an amazing massage and loosens me up no end

So I am not downsizing, I am going around the bend in the road, in a different direction and yes I want a large garden too. There will be time enough when I am old, to do the final downsize, until then I intend to enjoy my life and my hobbies to the full and btw they are a very good way to meet other people
  • dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    Gosh that is a tricky problem. I am definitely going to move into a property the same size or with potential to add conservatory and workshop. I have hobbies, I need to get on and do my carving, I want to get a band saw. My hobbies are very varied sewing, knitting, spinning and the wood crafts. I want to get a rowing machine to go with my rebounder and inverter. I look after my own health and body, I try to keep strong and I straighten myself out, expand my disc spaces and feel myself grow taller when I invert ~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

You sound like me :D trying to downsize is a nightmare when there is so much I do and still want to do :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you've all prepped for flu? Got a load of Night Nurse and Lemsip and Beechams in ready so you don't have to crawl round the shops when you're dying?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am prepping myself ie taking extra immune supporting stuff, getting exercise on my own in the fresh air and am absolutely staying away from shops, buses etc. I have to do two sessions out next week and it will certainly be fingers crossed then. Flu hits so suddenly that there isn`t time to be buying stuff then so yes pre-planning is most important
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2018 at 12:14PM
    Options
    I'm showing my lack of age here but has there been a flu pandemic where many people felt like they should hunker down in our life time?

From an old pro in pneumonia I would like to pass on what I know are my symptoms. I have it down to a fine art now and catch it very quickly. I have my history now and that makes me heard but it hasn't always been that way.

I know what my resting and ambient heart rate is. A rapid heart rate is my first sign that bacteria is setting in and that can exacerbate overnight. I have a machine but using two fingers on pulse points and counting is as good a way as any.

Breathlessness when walking the stairs means I know to take things seriously and is what makes me think 'oh oh' and if ever I feel even the slightest bit of breathlessness when walking from room to room on the flat, I seek help.

More breaths per minute or rather shorter, shallower, faster breaths occur. I know how many breaths I take per minute when I'm healthy.

Pain on breathing in can be many things but if I notice that I'm using my tummy area to help with breathing I know that all is not well.

I also develop shoulder pain, usually across my collar bone right at the front.

I never rely on my temperature as a sign of bacterial infection if I have any or all of the above and I regularly get pneumonia without a wheeze or even so much as a cough.

What I'm saying is my pneumonia has been missed many a time and I've been turned away, ending up in hospital a few days later. I now know to say 'My heart rate is 145bpm. My stomach muscles are needed to help me breath. My breathing rate has increased. I'm breathless walking slowly on the flat. I have excruciating pain everytime I breath in. My collar bone is sore and I have shoulder pain'. Last month this amount of information wasn't enough to get past the surgery receptionist and I was told to ring 111 as there were no appointments. 111 had an ambulance sent to the surgery because of my symptoms. Don't ever be fobbed off if you have the above. Store what I've said in the back of your mind and don't worry about it, but have that information to put two and two together to act quickly if flu turns to P. It's taken an 18 year old girl yesterday.

Vigilance and knowledge is how we can help ourselves. Sometimes the medical profession can only go on what we tell them. It's up to us to be listened to and there be no doubt.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fuddle, thats a very useful post, thank you for that.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport