PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ivyleaf, I don't begrudge you a bit of a smile! But I'm well-used to goats, grew up with goats next door and at one stage members of my family upcountry ran Britain's biggest goat farm. However, these two were put up for rehoming & adopted by my friend's ex 14 years ago because they'd broken someone's hip. Their sense of humour is a little over the top, shall we say...

Sorry thriftwizard, I didn't mean I thought it silly to be prevented from getting to the manure by a couple of goats. It just reminded me of a dog I used to know, which guarded the hoover so its owners didn't dare try to get at it! I know goats can be dangerous and these two sound a prime example! :eek: How frustrating though :(

Thank you Apple Crumble! I'm sure a lot of people will find that useful :)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Thriftwizard do you know if my old allotmenteers have been given their new plots on the new site yet? It was supposed to be a seamless transition but the last I heard was allotment holders had to vacate by a certain date but didn't have any plot to move their fruit trees too.

Have they started building by my old stomping ground yet? Also do you know if the proposed development North of where we were has been given the green light? Just being nosey :D
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nosy is good, curiosity gets us into new places, learning new things.
    Besides which, sometimes the best answer to a question is to have a go at it.

Sadly the goat approach appears to be "can I eat this & live" - and I've seen lovingly hand knitted socks pegged out to dry included in their research. Not for long - I yelled a warning and my schoolmate ran at the goat with a broomstick while her mother moved the washing line. Then resignedly rummaged & started on more socks.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fuddle, there's no building there yet, which is heartbreaking. (We used to have plot 1 over there too, but gave it up when OH's knee had to be operated on.) I don't think they've even started to clear the new ones yet, or built any access roads. I believe the houses off the C. Road are a done deal, and there are 1,500 more homes going up at C'hill, not far from where we're growing the veg. Overall it will more than double the size of the town & its suburb, with no corresponding increase in the infrastructure or upgrades to the roads. All executive des-reses, of course, with pocket-hanky gardens & a couple of "social" flats round by the bins...
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Isn't it stupid that the government are pushing and pushing to build millions (literally) of new houses, building on allotments and country fields and innercity and backyard sites indiscriminately and insisting that we need these new homes because there aren't enough houses in existence now BUT who is going to be able to afford to buy them? in a very uncertain future with Brexit looming on the close horizon and job cuts, wage freezes and council spending being curtailed who is going to maintain the infrastructure we have in existence now let along put in the extras that we WILL need if all these new homes are built? It makes NO sense whatsoever to me, could someone please explain the thinking behind it?
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In a word, MrsLW - money. A building boom, with lots of debts created right through the process, from the buying of the land, through the acquisition of supplies and the wages, and the mortgages loaned on the eventual homes, makes lots and lots of lovely "growth" for the economy. A whole lot more than maintaining good pastureland or an ancient woodland full of irreplaceable rare species.
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That whole process sounds 'fungal' to me, houses put up overnight, pretty to look at for a whole day but starting to rot as soon as they're finished and built and then in decay within 5 years possibly standing empty for the whole of it because there is no one with enough spare income to save the deposit and then pay the mortgage when the interest rates go up as inevitably they must. Craziness, the whole concept isn't it?
  • Chieveley
    Chieveley Posts: 418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having just watched the news headlines on the cyber attack on the NHS a website I was shown earlier today http://map.norsecorp.com/#/
  • southantrim3
    southantrim3 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Here's a very good reason as to why Prepping of some description is required. Imagine this happened to the banking system, electricity companies or any other major industry...
    Already, operations have been cancelled, patients can't be discharged, given results of blood tests etc and it looks as if the issue still hasn't been resolved.
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you Apple Crumble, have just downloaded the Kindle version of your recommended book, will read it when I have some peace........when the tv is turned off!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family