PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    If you get a few ice cream tubs full of water & freeze them GQ, you can turn your broken fridge into a cool box. Just swap the melted tubs for frozen tubs every 12 hours.

BTW, have you thought of enquiring at the local tip whether someone has dropped off a working fridge when replacing it with a Fridge freezer?
    :) Good tip about the cool box, will do that in a minute.

The tip doesn't allow any wombling, sadly. What goes in there, stays in there, damn their eyes.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wot about a chazzer or house clearance outfit?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just received a letter from the water company, informing me that they are inspecting/testing the supply pipes, which may lead to discoloured water.

Apparently, "Discoloured water is unlikely (my emphasis) to be harmful to health."

Anyway, instead of drinking the "unlikely to be harmful to health" water, I'm filling 2x25 Litre polypropylene water carriers, to be used for drinking, cooking, teeth brushing, etc.
    :)
  • Witless
    Options
    Though to be honest - it can be cheaper to buy new.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/refrigeration/fridges/333_3127_30214_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html?s=fridge

£65 for the mini compares favourably to the tradesperson callout charge.

(I'm a firm believer in make do & mend but it's not always logical - recently I had a leaking shower (long story - combination of too long new, budget brand, not superb initial installation & subsequent repairs etc) and it was cheaper to buy a complete unit - larger 900 x 800 tray & surround for £371 than for a replacement surround at £388 (old non standard 740 x 740 size no longer readily available) & the fitting was quicker (therefore cheaper) than a 'proper repair' plus it has an excellent warranty because the 'leak proof shower module' was installed by a manufacturer/ supplier 'approved fitter. Win - win I thought compared to a half done job)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :j I think I either spake too soon, or the fridge realised I was arranging to take it to the tip in pal's car and struggled back to life, but IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING !!!!!

No light, but that's no biggie, seems to be getting cold. How well and if it's a false hope, I shall know in the morning, I guess. A £319 M*ele larder fridge outta last longer that this, frankly.

Like Witless, I am muchly in favour of make-do-and-mending but oftentimes, it's poor use of money when it comes to appliances, so best to cut your losses and start again.

*** scuttles off to press ear against the fridge door, crooning encouragingly and hoping to hear the motor kick in any moment now****

:o Gosh, after all this excitement, I may have to have a cup of tea of steady my nerves...... :rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Witless
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :o Gosh, after all this excitement, I may have to have a cup of tea of steady my nerves...... :rotfl:

Not tea ... ice cold water, dear girl, ice cold water! Think / send posidrive vibes to it (with an undercurrent of sending it to recycling)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Witless wrote: »
    Think / send posidrive vibes to it

I don't think GQ is considering using a screwdriver on it. :)
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 April 2017 at 9:10PM
    Options
    Blimey - my carbon footprint's only 62%, apparently! Despite driving a "medium" diesel van - even though it's far from the most efficient, I actually get much the same MPG out of it as many of my friends get from their (posh) saloon cars. I haven't flown anywhere for several years (though hopefully will get a holiday later on this year) and mostly walk locally, and we keep the house quite cool as there's no point trying to do anything else!
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Witless
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    I don't think GQ is considering using a screwdriver on it. :)
    True .... but she's positive her mate will drive it to the tip if it doesn't behave. ;)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 April 2017 at 9:25PM
    Options
    Anyone else snickering a bit about the great hummus disaster? Honestly, it seems some folk do not realise that a fork, a tin of chickpeas & working off a bad temper and you're most of the way there...

The lack of iceberg lettuce wasn't as daft as it couldn't be so easily replaced...

Me for an early night - the Bank Holiday Weekend beckons & I will need all my strength! May your fridge learn chilled out ways promptly GQ - intermittent chill is most irritating as a season let alone white goods!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure