PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    America has really lost the plot. Really honestly getting scary how brainless they are. Read this-

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-13/us-delta-force-seal-team-6-prepare-take-out-kim-jong-un-practice-tactical-north-kore
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    started with a bad cold on my day off friday....nose leaking like atap,sore throat , coughing, thankfully had a war chest of codeine, flu capsules , lozenges, 1 late and 2 earlies later im improving slightly, trying to lose weight before my next diabetes review in May, if eat out now , i compensate in the evening by reducing carbs . Lost 7 pound from november high of 20 stone ouch , hopefully 19 by May review and onwards . Had salmon butty for tea... only got about 350 tins left :). Hope alls well with you all
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Well - there's a thought to ponder for the day - preventative health care as part of ones preps being slanted towards what blood group one has.

Just read this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4310188/Can-blood-type-protect-getting-dementia.html

There's a thought for anyone that doesnt know what their blood type is. Having donated blood before now - I know I'm group O. A positive note to start the day on - as that's exactly what I would want to be if I chose - including the lower fertility (as someone that never wanted children):)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you're an O money I hope you're still donating. You never know when you might need blood, and as the universal donor it also means you have to have O in a transfusion. So the more there is in the system the better :)

I haven't been able to donate for the last 6 years due to ongoing hospital treatment but I'm hoping that when I recover from this biopsy I'll get approval from the hospital, my GP and the blood service to start again. I'm an A+ so not quite as useful.
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mitstm As someone who's also an O blood group, but who has cardiac disease and issues with clots I'm not convinced that the research is valid. Although to be fair it does say '30% less likely to' and not 'will not get'.

MrsLW asked
    If prices continue to go up across the board and we have to think about making choices to keep ourselves fed, clothed and warm what will be your personal priorities? What will be the things that you would give up other things to have on a regular basis? What will you give up? What won't you give up under any circumstances? What changes would you consider making to your lives that would make you more likely to be able to afford the things you need?

I'm late to this post, so apologise if you've all moved on, but having recently restocked many basic items I've thought a lot about cutting down or giving up items. I can't cut the heating down any further. We wear layers in the house already when it's cold, have snuggle blankets, warm slippers and always have hot drinks and a pan of soup on the go. We are double glazed, cavity wall insulated and really quite snug but I have bought fabric and lining material to make a door curtain to block drafts from the kitchen and will also be making thicker curtains ready for next winter.
    Food wise we're well stocked up always so I'm now running just a one out one in policy and no lounger buying special offers or reduced items just because they seem a bargain. I've reduced our food stocks slowly but surely over the past two years and am much happier now that I know exactly what we have, and that we will use what we have. If prices soar - and they seem to be doing just that - it will still be cheaper to buy one item rather than stockpile offers. Although having said that I make sure that we always have enough stored food to last us 6 to 8 weeks so we've hardly gone minimalist.
    We HAVE put in more soft fruit and new rhubarb crowns, the plot supplies most of our veg so that's reassuring and we have many pounds of honey. I do buy a lot if tropical fruit, but with more soft fruit of our own that's something I could cut out without feeling much pain.
    For me prepping is just making sure that we have what we need to meet everyday emergencies, things like unexpected hospital stays, power cuts and things. If we go away I always like to be prepared for all eventualities. The family say that they're going to carve "Just in case" on my gravestone (hopefully not too soon :rotfl: ) There is a great sense of security in knowing that I have what I need to meet
    most situations though, and that price hikes aren't going to frighten me as much as they may people who aren't prepared at all for them.
    Apologies again if I sound smug. I've really had to fight my tendency to stockpile just for the sake of it, but am finally now happy with the compromise prepping I've achieved.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    True - I know it doesnt mean "guaranteed protection" and I'm very curious what blood group my heart problems father, heart problems mother and heart problems brother have and whether blood groups are something that can "leap through generations" bypassing some people "in the bloodline" but not others - as some other factors can.

It would have been bad news for me if I'd wanted children though. We're apparently a lot less fertile - and I personally wouldnt have had children until my 30s (IF I'd wanted them - which I didnt) and the combination of those two things could have translated into bad news. The message seems to be that O blood group people that want children should try to be in a position to do so in their 20s if possible.
  • southantrim3
    Options
    Not liking the look of that Mardatha!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm waiting to see a stonemason ready to take a percentage off fees for work & then I'll buy my tombstone.
    "It Worked for Us" is the ongoing favourite - we're odd, but it's working. Although "I told you I was ill" has a certain appeal as it might actually do for the hypochondriac.

*All* blood groups are useful! Several pals have topped up holiday funds selling a unit of the red stuff - I can't donate so I recruit & shepherd instead. (In the UK.)

Must consult Himself as to the rhubarb crowns. I think only one son knows where he planted them & they're due another dose of something (potash?) now it appears to have considered transmogrifying into Spring.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought it was just O negative that was universal? I'm O negative but can't donate. One DD is O positive (so I had to have the jab in the backside after she was born) but DD2 is negative. (Something to do with recessive genes on DH's side - I did understand it at one point). She has been donating blood since she was 16 and the Blood Donation people are always calling up to see if she can come in because she is a universal donor
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I'm O positive and used to be a donor and they were always very happy to have us type Os as anyone can receive our red stuff.

Sadly, the NHS has chosen to designate persons on my kind of constant medication as verboten in terms of donation. The consultants for my condition have told me that there is no biological reason why we shouldn't be donors, but the blood people won't be dissuaded.

Sad, really, that I can't contribute, but it is as it is.

I'm also looking at getting more fruit bushes onto my allotment as part of the long-term plan to get high-quality fruits for pennies. Lots of nutrition from not a lot of space. One of my favourite things is to just eat frozen blackcurrants straight from the freezer - yummy treat, healthy and not containing any additonal sugars.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills