PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think the reason why I feel compelled to knit woolly hats has emerged.
    I'm knitting camo...
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    Let outrageousness rule! To celebrate my weight loss last year, my DIL insisted that I should buy some jeggings. I fought a swift rearguard action and lost. I am now the proud owner of a pair of bright pink jeggings.
    I wore said jeggings when I visited a friend of mine who was very jealous of my weight loss. I had stepped out of my role as her fat friend, you see. "All I can say is, thank goodness you are wearing a long coat," was her only comment.

All my life I have tried to melt into the background, well, no longer.
    Does it make me conspicuous? I jolly well hope so.

x

I once saw an elderly lady in a department store restaurant, wearing a gorgeous bright pink jacket. She looked fabulous, and I only wish I hadn't been too shy to tell her so, because now i'm getting a bit towards elderly myself I realise she would have been pleased.

My friends in Scotland used to belong to the Red hats, but their local branch seems to have fizzled out. I remember one of them telling me about when they went to buy their hats - she ended up with a fascinator as she couldn't find a hat she liked. I think they had to wear something purple as well :D
  • melodramaticme
    Options
    The poem about wearing purple with a red hat is "Warning" by Jenny Joseph.
    It starts off :
    "When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter."

but ends by saying:
    "But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
    When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple."

Age is only a number:rotfl:

Savings goal £30,000 1% = £300.
    [/COLOR]
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A be careful warning.....last evening I was bumbling about online looking at high tea recipes and went to a 'DOWNTON ABBEY' site and immediately got a message up saying that the computer was now LOCKED and we had to ring a number to be told what to do to get it unlocked again. If you see this DON'T TOUCH IT!!! Luckily He Who Knows is very computer savvy and always keeps us protected and backed up but this, although it wasn't on the actual computer system, had locked our browser completely. He HAS been able to clear it which is why I'm here now, I thought we would be out of action for a while but he's sorted it out. Be aware that it can happen out of the blue, there are some pretty unscrupulous folk out there trying to part us from our cash!!!
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This might interest you guys. I've been looking at the National Grid website: http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

You can see that gas generation virtually doubles between 6 & 7 in the morning. Up to now, I have always run my tumble drier as late as possible in the night, but still to be on the cheap rate. My cheap rate ends at 6.50.

I just set my tumble drier to come on an hour earlier, so should be finished around 5.50.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    A be careful warning.....last evening I was bumbling about online looking at high tea recipes and went to a 'DOWNTON ABBEY' site and immediately got a message up saying that the computer was now LOCKED and we had to ring a number to be told what to do to get it unlocked again. If you see this DON'T TOUCH IT!!! Luckily He Who Knows is very computer savvy and always keeps us protected and backed up but this, although it wasn't on the actual computer system, had locked our browser completely. He HAS been able to clear it which is why I'm here now, I thought we would be out of action for a while but he's sorted it out. Be aware that it can happen out of the blue, there are some pretty unscrupulous folk out there trying to part us from our cash!!!

Its a good idea to check that you have system restore turned on in windows computers for this sort of problem and look for information about how to get into safe mode so that if SHTF you can just go in and set it back again.
    You can find it on windows 7 in control panel/system/system protection...
    A live linux CD is also handy for having another way to start a computer if windows is completely trashed .:cool:
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lyn My goodness, that's worrying :eek: Thank you Culpepper, I'll ask DS about this as he's done a lot of techie work so will be able to help in an emergency.

jkO Do you have neighbours? Ours sometimes run their washing machine before 0600 and it wakes me up when it's on the spin cycle :(
  • lillibet_dripping
    Options
    What's all this about veg being in short supply in the supermarkets due to bad weather in Spain? :eek:
    At least we'll be alright with home-grown kale :D
    *ducks and runs*
    :j[DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt:TDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862:eek:April 2013 = £20414:T April 2014 = £11000 :TApril 2015 = £9500 :T April 2016 = £7200:T
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM:j:j:beer::j:j:T:T
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 February 2017 at 11:41AM
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »

jkO Do you have neighbours? Ours sometimes run their washing machine before 0600 and it wakes me up when it's on the spin cycle :(

Yes, neighbour noise was a nuisance in my flat. Detached house now, so I can do as I wish more or less. Even now I don't let mine spin immediately, and only do that when I'm ready to hang out or tumble dry. Maybe that would be a reasonable compromise for others?

Edit: BTW, regarding washing machines, you really only need to have the heating part of the cycle (first half hour) in the cheap time, as this is when about 80% of the energy of the cycle is used.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    What's all this about veg being in short supply in the supermarkets due to bad weather in Spain? :eek:
    At least we'll be alright with home-grown kale :D
    *ducks and runs*

Me - I was thinking:

- greenhouse bought and set-up = check
    - garden substantially ready for growing and with some stuff growing there already = check
    - garden shed all in place/stocked with all necesssary/etc = check

and living in part of the country where, hopefully, this wouldnt be a problem anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure