wealth at work

Options
The company I work for are offering all employees impacted by its pension change proposal the option of gaining free financial advice from this company. Can anyone tell me anything about this company? Would they have to be totally independent to the company? What is the purpose of using this company to help staff consider changes to their work pension?

thank you

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5250259
    might be worth a look.

What change is being made and on what terms?
  • PurplePixie999
    Options
    The company wants to close its defined benefit scheme. It is under consultation at the moment. I cant understand how wealth at work can help employees.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The company wants to close its defined benefit scheme. It is under consultation at the moment. I cant understand how wealth at work can help employees.

They can explain the proposed changes and potentially how they will affect employees.

As they are paid for by the comoany then they will only be liable to teh company, so take up their offer but don't take their advice as gospel in terms of being in your interest rather than the companies.

Presumably teh company will be closing the old scheme, have they offered alternative arrangements as options or choices?

Are you a member of a union, as they might be able to advise?

They will presumably be moving to a defined contribution scheme, the value of the db scheme would be variable depending on the members age and how it is administered and the benefits available, but a rule of thumb would that it might be worth 25-30% of salary, how does this compare with the alternatives being proposed?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would they have to be totally independent to the company?

No. There is no requirement for the firm to use an IFA.
    What is the purpose of using this company to help staff consider changes to their work pension?

One assumes the company is paying this company to provide advice to those that need it.

When if comes to DB closures, that will almost certainly be an advice area.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    They can show the employees what the closure of the DB scheme means to them and explain what any replacement scheme has to offer?

Is the scheme closing to new members, closing for all future investments or winding up?
  • tigerspill
    tigerspill Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wealth at work are very good. My company uses them and I have availed of their advice several times.
    When they work with companies (who pay them) they really get under the skin of things like the company's specific pension. They gain infinitely more knowledge than any IFA can get as they focus on specific areas.
    They also have a very good general understanding. I have found them superb.

The downside is that they do offer their own products which they tailer to the individual - of which I have bought some. My view is there are better products out there as their fees are much higher than say tracker and that hits growth hard.
  • robin61
    robin61 Posts: 677 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2016 at 8:13PM
    Options
    I have gone to a couple of Wealth At Work seminars through my company. They provided a useful insight and the first one inspired me to really focus on my retirement plan. So I would definitely go and listen to what they have to say. I agree with some of the others they will probably know more about your specific company scheme and what's happening with it than you can reasonably expect of most IFAs.

However I have to speak as I find. We did not find them an easy company to do business with. We are a lot happier with the IFA we are with now where we get a great service from a local company.
  • PurplePixie999
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies, really helpful. The pension scheme is to be closed to further investment. Staff will then be allowed to join the defined contribution scheme available to newer staff. My concern from looking at the wealth at work website is that it is a company involved in charging for recommendations. Should advise not be from somewhere that as no financial interest in advising staff.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My concern from looking at the wealth at work website is that it is a company involved in charging for recommendations.

They have to charge as commission is banned. However, in respect of the workplace scheme, that charge will be met by the employer. In respect of any other business you may transact via them (should you choose to do so) then you will be charged.
    Should advise not be from somewhere that as no financial interest in advising staff.

You have a right to employ and pay for your own independent adviser. However, whether the adviser firm is independent or restricted, they still have to give best advice (within the restrictions, if restricted)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you with M&S by any chance?

if so (or even if not) you might find this thread of interest. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70790294#post70790294
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure