Forum Home» Health & Beauty MoneySaving

MSE News: Revealed: Huge price differences between branded and own-brand medicines an

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Revealed: Huge price differences between branded and own-brand medicines an

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
13 replies 2K views
Legacy_userLegacy_user
0 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
Some branded over-the-counter medicines can cost up to eight times as much as generic equivalents - and even 'own-brand'...
Read the full story:
'Revealed: Huge price differences between branded and own-brand medicines and generic equivalents'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely we've known this for years .
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have bought generic for years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Holiday Haggler
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have to laugh at the people paying £1.99 for branded pain killers when they could just buy the 32p packets instead.

I have noticed that Sainsbury's pharmacy seems to have removed many of its 'own brand' items.

You only need to look at the active ingredients and check other products for the same ones.
    9.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As little as £1.99? Some are much more expensive.
  • helcat26helcat26 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    not news surely- everyone knows unbranded are cheaper
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always bought these which are on the list.

Max Strength Congestion Relief 60p Sainsbury's, trouble is they have disappeared now in fact over a month. I asked and was told they had discontinued them. Then still sell the ones with pain relief at 70p, but I don't want or need the extra pain relief.
  • chocdonutychocdonuty Forumite
    929 posts
    Sainsbury's own brands are disappearing as they are being taken over by lloyds pharmacy and don't want to be stuck with tons of sainsbury's stock they can't sell.
    Although they have been taking their time and the takeover has taken longer than expected, was supposed to be in Feb!
    :hello: Hiya, I'm single mom, avid moneysaver and freecycler, sometimes :huh: but definatly :D
  • Kunoichi73Kunoichi73 Forumite
    73 posts
    chocdonuty wrote: »
    Sainsbury's own brands are disappearing as they are being taken over by lloyds pharmacy and don't want to be stuck with tons of sainsbury's stock they can't sell.
    Although they have been taking their time and the takeover has taken longer than expected, was supposed to be in Feb!

I was told the other weekend that the Lloyds own brand stuff is expected to turn up in September.
  • FBabyFBaby Forumite
    18.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nothing new! I had to laugh when a colleague recently said she needed to go to Boots (30 mns walk from office) to buy some Neurofen for her headache. I asked her why she didn't pop in at the local Sainsburys (2 mns walk), and she responded that they didn't sell any Neurofen. I told her that they sold their own brand Ibuprofen, but she looked at me as if I was mad saying that she had tried it and it didn't work for her and only Neurofen did. I tried to explain to her that it was exactly the same but she wouldn't have it and even ended up telling me that I was an idiot! Oh well, she ended up walking 30 minutes under the rain and paying 5 times more. Her problem!
    9.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Several years ago, a Boots pharmacy assistant actually came up to me and suggested I buy the Boots version of Gaviscon ,as it is identical, but a fraction of the price.

That was my first experience that generics are just as good, but cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support