Free McAfee Anti Virus Site Advisor for 12 months

Options
Hi all, just noticed this on Natwest Online banking site, and you dont even have to bank with Nat West.

They are currently offering McAfee Antivirus protection for your pc for 12 months for FREE.

All you do is register an email address and download the product for 12 months.

If anyone happens to get it could you please let me know

cheers everyone

Comments

• tiscalimac
    Options
    Just to warn you all.....

I use Windows Defender and the FREE AVG antivirus. I saw this the other day on natwest, and thought that I would get it as it was a well known name.

Did a scan using defender and avg BEFORE I installed Mcafee, and the pc was running smooth with no problems and at a pretty quick speed.

Unistalled all my AVG and Defender software and installed Mcafee. The pc went so slow it was untrue. Did a scan, clean up, defrag, you name it I did it.

Made no difference.

How did I fix the problem? Removed Mcafee and re-installed AVG and Defender.

Dont get me wrong, this may good but thought I would warn everyone.
  • Computertec
    Options
    This was mentioned before on the tech board, please DO NOT take the credit
  • bobsie1
    Options
    I posted the thread in good faith unaware that someone had already posted it in the tech board so sincere apologies to anyone viewing this message
  • renjones
    Options
    Agreed Computertec, Mcafee (and Norton for that matter) are resource hogs and will slow your computer down faaaar more than is needed. Incredibly shabby for proprietary software.

AVG on the other hand is just as good in terms of functionality and it's so light weight you probably won't even notice it's running.

http://free.grisoft.com is where to download it, I think the links to the free version aren't promoted too well on their main site.
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just had my laptop repaired and the repair guy told me to ditch the Norton (that had nearly run out anyway) and download AVG as renjones mentioned. It scans everytime the pc is turned on and does not slow down the computer at all. In fact I usually click the icon to see if it's actually working! Plus it always tells you when you need an update. Plus it's FREE :money:

I usually do a Trend HouseCall scan and a Lavasoft Ad Aware scan once a week too to get rid of the more non-damaging rubbish, they're free too :beer:
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • skintandsad
    Options
    After my computer recently seriously crashed, I had to reinstall windows.
    I decided not to reinstall McAfee as it only had a week left to run, and instead installed AVG freeware, windows defender and Spybot Search and Destroy freeware.
    My computer is SOOOOO much quicker than it ever was, and I had no idea that it was McAfee causing this.

Its all running fantastic now :j
    I'm a nutter :j
  • mozza68
    Options
    This was mentioned before on the tech board, please DO NOT take the credit

Bit rude isn't it. They are just trying to help.
  • KittyPryde
    Options
    I get Mcafee free from my university every year. We have to have it installed on our laptops in order to use their wireless. They wont let us use Norton. :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure