Wednesday 29th June - what small DFW things will you do today?

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:

Comments

• PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Morning folks :hello: quick list for me as I'm off to work in about 10 minutes.

Check banking, FPL, surveys
    Made lunch for work, used a manky spring onion in the salad, took snack and a bottle of (tap) water
    Hot drink for commute
    Get paperwork for 4 'protection' policies we have so we can review all together and make sure we are paying for what we want
    Tea from menu plan - hm jalfrezi - will help use a green pepper that has seen better days and a couple of soft salad tomatoes. Will check rest of fridge whilst there and freeze anything I'm not going to use in next couple of days
    Washing on cheap overnight, can dry on airer tomorrow
    Take wordall picture DH has made for someone. He'll get paid too :T
    See if my survey money has become available and if so withdraw to PayPal and then withdraw to bank

Right, think that's all for now - plus it's hump day - have a good one folks :)
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Good morning and thanks PurpleFairy for the thread.

My list was completed yesterday so hopefully I'll do the same today;

Brink breakfast and lunch into work today - Done
    Check banks and YNAB
    Exercise
    Shower at the gym
    Charge phone at work
    Start budget for next month

Have a good day everyone!
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 10,890
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning....just typed long post & lost it. This will just be straight list as have lost heart to do it all again:
    *Jacket potato night. Freezer/pantry dive for toppings. Salad from garden too.
    *Big bundle of rhubarb pulled (in the rain) & am now prepping it for making rhubarb & ginger jam tomorrow.
    *Refilled my recycled spray bottle with dilute Stardrops. That stuff lasts ages.
    *Refused to chuck out cat's uneaten dinner from last night; Re-chopped & added a tiny topping of new food. He's eaten some of it.
    *Do meal plans for next week.
    *Do freezer plan at same time.
    *Write shopping list. Write budget target for the week on shopping list.
    *Do online grocery order if we can get a £1 'green delivery' slot.
    *Make list of useful stuff I could do in town tomorrow as I shall have the car & like to get everything done on 1 car park fee, not have to go back & pay another one because I didn't plan/make a list.
    *An outstanding cheque arrived in the post this morning.
    *Did an Ipsos survey.
    *Research arm physiology. I've had a poorly arm for weeks. Assumed it was a pulled muscle which can take a while to heal, but no improvement whatsoever, so am now thinking there must be a naughty tendon in there somewhere & it's probably that. Heat packs are vaguly soothing, but think ice packs would probably be a lot more useful.
    There was more in my original post that got eaten, but I need to crack on now.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone

Here’s me:
    Cheapo healthy cocoa chia seed pudding brekkie :A
    No snacks from work’s tuck shop – found choccie oatcakes in my drawer :cool:
    Job #2 tonight – £60 for me – will put in EF :cool:
    Hung washing inside – no TD for me :naughty:
    Need to get lots of food at lunch as I’m working until 10pm – a cheapo £1 sandwich won’t cut it. B00ts meal deal for me – might buy it with points rather than use the lunch budget… 11hr days justify it…right?!
    Prep for tomorrow’s class – got 3 new starters :T
    Print something off at work
    Tonight is sausages I got out of the freezer – I’m dicing with death re the ‘best before’ date :shhh: :p
    Need to ask sis about niece’s bday coming up…

Pay day tomorrow so looking forward to budgeting :D
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 10,890
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 29 June 2016 at 4:29PM
    Sun is out now, after all-day rain, just when I now have to get ready to go out to a meeting. Grrrr.
    Managed to get a £1 delivery slot & got Sainsbury's order done. Came in at under budget. There is some premium cat food on there at the moment - Sheba 'Fresh Choice'. If you put one (pack of 4, I think) in your basket & remember to enter the code 'FRESHCHOICE' at the checkout, you get it free to try. Did this. Code did not work. mr f resolved this via online chat with a customer services person. It's a problem with the code, so if you try this free offer for your Furred Friend, & have the same problem, do flag it up. They emailed us a discount code for the same amount so we still got the free offer.

Had remembered to budget for the Grimsby Fish Man's delivery (every 2 months) which was good as they rang today to take my order & it came to £10-75 less than I'd budgeted for.

Finished playing with the rhubarb.....there was 5.5lbs of it. I'm macerating 3lbs in sugar overnight for jam-making tomorrow, blanched & froze 2lbs of it for making a big crumble or maybe some chutney at some point & stewed the remaining 8oz to eat tomorrow.
    OK, that's me..........must get ready for meeting tonight.......& the first person there who winds me up about certain topics is likely to get both barrels!
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    MONEY MAKING AND SAVING SITES AS OFTEN MENTIONED IN THIS FORUM:
    • Benefits check-up ( Link )
    • Coupon Shop Forum list of money-off coupons (Link)
    • Cooking On A Bootstrap, cheap recipes ( Link)
    • eBid ( Link )
    • Freecycle ( Link )
    • Free Postcode Lottery ( Link )
    • FreeStuff ( Link )
    • FreeUKStuff ( Link )
    • Income Tax Calculator (Link)
    • i-Say Surveys (Link)
    • List of online newspapers. At bottom of the linked page. ( Link )
    • LuckyPhone free lottery with loyalty rewards (Link)
    • Marriage Tax Allowance (Link)
    • MSE Boost Your Income page. Gateway to lots of money-making links. ( Link )
    • MSE Abbreviations Explained ( Link )
    • MSE Deals and Vouchers ( Link )
    • MSE Wow Offers ( Link )
    • NHS Minor Ailment Service article (Link)
    • My Supermarket ( Link )
    • OnePoll ( Link )
    • Quidco ( Link )
    • Reclaim PPI at no cost to yourself ( Link )
    • Resolver tool. Helps you draft a letter, send it, monitor replies and then escalate it to an Ombudsman or key complaint body if it's not sorted. (Link)
    • SayNoTo0870 cheap phone number finder ( Link )
    • Survey sites that pay for your opinions ( Link )
    • Swagbucks ( Link )
    • Swapit ( Link )
    • Tesco Orchard product testing (Link)
    • Tickety Split cheap train tickets (Link)
    • Toluna ( Link )
    • TopCashBack ( Link )
    • Wombling Guide (Link)
    • You Need A Budget site and App (Link)
    Checked 28 June 2016.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • allydowd
    Forumite
    Hi June Jubilatants,

Well that was a crazy day: glad to get home. Boss has changed my upcoming shifts for the third time in as many days and added 5 hours compulsory overtime. Oh well, "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger."

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Two:

* Checked online banking.

* Did RM Surveys.

* Took a packed lunch to work.

* Received final calculation of Tax Credits. We have to repay £133 "immediately". :o No huge surprise there, as they never get our calculation right, but I have a fair amount of anger about the system. I religiously report all changes and every year we are asked to repay them. A couple of years ago I even put £200 aside for the inevitable bill in June. It's just as well we can afford it.

How about you folks?

Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • allydowd
    Forumite
    News:

Read this if you shop at Homebase (Link)
  • allydowd
    Forumite
    Freebies and Offers:

Free Apple Summer Course (Link)

2 cinema tickets for £3.60 via Tesco Online Shopping (Link)

Free Vision Express eye test (Link)

£10 Pimms (Link)

Martin Lewis' weekly email of news and tips (Link)
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    lego_mum wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good travel mug please? We've had some that we got from the £shop in Oct that had been great, but they've gone a mis-shaped inside so dh binned them. In the past he's spent a lot of money on travel cups but they've usually leaked or not kept his drink hot etc. These last ones were great but no longer for sale in our £shops.

After various cheap ones, I treated myself to this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Mug-11068-294-Vacuum-Small/dp/B0039ZLDL8

Although I bought it from a local shop. It keeps drinks hot for up to 4 hours (possibly longer if you don't 'open' it) and hasn't leaked on me yet - although I do keep it upright.

As its stainless still I do often clean the inside with bicarbonate of soda as it can stain, but that's more likely to just be not washing it at work and bringing it home.

HTH. PF. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport