How many savings accounts do you have - piggybanking?

I just wondered how many savings accounts people have? I have 3 at the moment

1 - for general savings which will turn into my ermergency fund hopefully
2. one for Christmas/car stuff
3. one for school trips ( my son wants to go to Iceland with school - £900!!)

Is there a limit to how many savings accounts you can have?

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,257
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    No limit. I don't keep savings accounts as such although I have 4 regular savings accounts, 1 stocks and shares ISA , 1 cash ISA and 7 current accounts which all pay better rates than savings accounts. 1 current account is a bills account with my OH and used for everyday household spends, holidays, and I have a personal current account for clothes, entertainment etc.

When money was tight though I used to do the same as you and have separate pots - 1 emergency fund and general savings and 1 Christmas and holiday fund and yearly bills like tv licence, insurances etc and then 1 for replacing car, furniture etc. When our daughters were born we also opened accounts to save for them.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Link to soa: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

#1 1p savings challenge 2024 £78.75/£671.61
    #1 Save £12k in 2024 £2000/ £12000
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,502
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You have SEVEN current accounts?? Wow!

I'm tempted to open another current account and then transfer a chunk of money over for day to day spending and leave the other one running with DD/SO etc

I think this may help me further with budgeting
  • SLZ
    SLZ Posts: 233 Forumite
    I have one savings account (virtually depleted), I've got 1 investment account with Saxo Bank (and a separate one under the family holding company) as well as 1 Club Lloyds at 4% and one HSBC Advance account with no savings rate but it has left over cash in it that I'm using to tide me over to my new job's pay check.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    louby40 wrote: »
    I just wondered how many savings accounts people have? I have 3 at the moment

1 - for general savings which will turn into my ermergency fund hopefully
    2. one for Christmas/car stuff
    3. one for school trips ( my son wants to go to Iceland with school - £900!!)

Is there a limit to how many savings accounts you can have?

I've got far too many and there is no limit.

Current accounts currently 3 with Halifax, 3 with Bank of Scotland, 2 with Tesco, 2 with TSB, 1 with Lloyds, 1 with Yorkshire Bank, 1 with Santander, 1 with HSBC, 1 with First Driect, 1 with M&S.

Savings accounts with all of the above plus Nottingham BS.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,288
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    At the moment two, I have the Santander 123 account (its a current account but I use it as my savings account) and a S&S ISA (that I haven't paid anything into yet)

When the Santander reaches the 20k limit for the 3% interest I will start putting into my S&S ISA
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,803
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 June 2016 at 11:21AM
    When the Santander reaches the 20k limit for the 3% interest I will start putting into my S&S ISA

Which online platform are you using, good for dripfeeding about 25 K?
    What fund/share are you holding??

Thanks
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,288
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    adindas wrote: »
    Which online platform are you using or good if you want ti dripfeed about 25 K?
    What fund are you haivng ??

Thanks

It's with Charles Stanley
  • About 20. They're e-accounts all within one account though (One Account). It's brilliant and has utterly transformed our finances.
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm working on moving everything into one bank account and then splitting money up into different 'categories' in YNAB. I've found this so much easier than shuffling money about constantly from account to account.
  • Nicolapink
    Nicolapink Posts: 45 Forumite
    I've just started this. I opened a flex account. It has no fee. I will transfer money into this to use through the month. I have three accounts with the one bank ( I've posted earlier in a thread about having debt and a few hundred in a savings account) I can't seem to let the emergency fund go. I know it's madness lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure