Mortgage Default on Credit Report, please explain this to me

Options
. . .

Hello and thank you very much for reading.

I lost my job in 2010, and ignorantly believed I would find a new job quickly. I didn't. I had a mortgage, however, I could not meet my responsibilities. After struggling to pay for two years, the Citizen's Advice Bureau advised me to turn the keys back to the bank (which I did).

For the sake of background, I did ask the bank to leave me on 'interest only,' which I could have afforded, but they declined. Also, I was unable to rent the house out for anything near the mortgage payment.

The bank sold the house for a lot less that I owed, as is the bank's right. I was then issued a shortfall of £45,000. I have remained unable to pay this; I, due to personal reasons (mental health issues), have been unable to secure substantial employment. Furthermore, I could not/did not respond to the (surprisingly few) letters they sent about this.

I decided to check my credit report. I was surprised to find the below, and have no idea what it means.

• Under the Noddle Report tab, "closed accounts," my mortgage appears. There is no mention of it in the "open accounts" tab.
  • Updated on 31/10/2013, the Status is "Satisfied." There are no other entries after this date.
  • It states: Date of default 17/07/2013; Default balance £ XXX,XXX (full amount owed before shortfall).

The dates above represent about one calendar year from the date I turned the house over to them. There is no mention of the shortfall amount.

My questions are:
- Is it still possible for the bank to pursue this loan?
- Would it make any sense to claim bankruptcy?

I thank you very much for your time...

Sciamo

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills