Difficult venue

Options
We chose a venue for my sister's wedding because the sales lady explicitly said that they were completely flexible, we could have as much or as little as we wanted.
My sister paid a £500 deposit and the venue sent suggested menus totalling £8k
6 months on and due to some pretty lousy circumstances we informed the venue that we would need to cut the budget by £2k
They are being really off, revising their evening menu to chips in a cone and curry for the wedding breakfast.
They have said if we don't like it we can try and find somewhere else, although doubt we'll find anything more than a village hall!
Now my sister following a couple of difficult months has decided this is just the last straw!
We have paid £1500 although there is no written/signed contract and no terms & conditions on their website.
If we call this wedding off - will we ever get this money back, worse still can they charge us the full amount as we are less than eight weeks away?

Comments

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would go and get paid-for legal advice on this in view of the amounts and the timescale.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does your sister not have wedding insurance?

From what I see reading your posts, the original meal in the package came to x price. You have gone back and said I want to pay z price and they have said ok, but this is all we can offer. That's them being flexible

I'm confused if you have paid 500 or 1500 deposit. If you look at their website or even the wedding package bumf the ts and cs should be shown and will tell you what you lose deposit wise in cancelling

Btw, what have you actually ordered? We paid 6k for 140 sit down meal with wine, fizzy reception and evening buffet in a 5* hotel. To get that price we had to be flexible on how many guests, the day of the week and how many choices were offered for the wedding breakfast
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure