MSE News: You DON'T need a polling card to vote in the EU referendum

If you want to vote in tomorrow's EU referendum, you can do so even if you've lost or didn't get a polling card...
Read the full story:
'You DON'T need a polling card to vote in the EU referendum'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,261
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Absolutely right - you don't need a polling card. Or indeed any other form of identification.

Just a name. And an address to match the name.

Wide open to fraud and incredible that the Electoral Commission don't tighten up on it to reduce the risk of fraud.

There's more than a grain of truth in the old adage: Vote early, vote often.
  • No doubt the Labour party will be repeating their dirty tricks campaign of the last election when immigrants with little grasp of the English language were being bussed in to polling booths in their dozens and told which way to vote.
    Coincidentally it happened in at least one area in the North which became notorious for widespread sex abuse.
    Mind you the Electoral Commission are still busy trying to sweep under the carpet all those incidents of the Tories exceeding their spending limits and breaking election rules.
    I doubt we'll see a re-run of the Farage election in Thanet which was the worst example of this.
    Anyway,nice to see Martin and the MSE doing their bit to get turnout as high as possible for Remain.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,226
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There's nothing illegal about offering a lift to the polling station to someone who couldn't get there otherwise. Most of the parties do that at election time. All of the people bussed in would have had to be registered to vote.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,709
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You don't have to provide a polling card to vote but it really helps the polling station staff to find your name on the election register.
    So if you can Please bring your card to this and all future elections
  • davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ^This^ People give their name not realizing the list is done by having the streets in alphabetical order.

Is pengate resolved? Amzing to me how many people would casually alledge widescalae electoral fraud. How to they suppose results would be declared in the early hours with people rubbing out and changing hundreds and thousands of votes???
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • Jenna_Appleseed
    Jenna_Appleseed Posts: 4,753
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No doubt the Labour party will be repeating their dirty tricks campaign of the last election when immigrants with little grasp of the English language were being bussed in to polling booths in their dozens and told which way to vote.
    Coincidentally it happened in at least one area in the North which became notorious for widespread sex abuse.
    Mind you the Electoral Commission are still busy trying to sweep under the carpet all those incidents of the Tories exceeding their spending limits and breaking election rules.
    I doubt we'll see a re-run of the Farage election in Thanet which was the worst example of this.
    Anyway,nice to see Martin and the MSE doing their bit to get turnout as high as possible for Remain.

Wonder if you're still shouting fraud now you've got what you wanted?
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,398
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The ability to vote without a polling card or ID card is something British. I was in discussion with a German in Spain at Easter who refused to believe that we did not have ID cards, that we did not need to carry a licence when driving, and could turn up at a hospital and be treated.
  • BarryBlue
    BarryBlue Posts: 4,179 Forumite
    There is actually one category of voter that does have to produce a polling card. That is if you are an anonymous voter, whose name and address don't appear on the register at the polling station. They are listed just by a number and have to supply a polling card to match. I presume such people are mainly those in witness protection programmes.
    :dance:We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night:dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport