Walk 1000 miles

Options

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 10 October 2016 at 2:24PM
    Options
    Ilona wrote: »
    Which hostel is it, I have been to most of them. Please say it is Hartington Hall. Their breakfasts are fantastic, fills you up a treat for the day. I should go to the Lakes more often, but it's a long way to drive there. Have a good time. Have you been up Helvelyn via Striding Edge? That's hairy, ha ha. Keep on plodding along eh!
    Ilona

Its actually Castleton. I need to be up near Ladybower reservoir on the Sat for a Marathon trail race. I love the edale area.

Yes I have been up helvellyn that way, and via, swirral edge in the snow, up the zigzags from greensides, up sticks pass and via dollywaggon. Only way I've not done it is from Dunmail raise.
    I spend a lot of time in the lakes as it is only a 3hr drive from here to get to most parts (except wasdale, etc on the west side)

Keswick - buttermere - grassmere back to keswick is this weekends trip.
    I am also up in Keswick on the 5th Nov for the weekend racing in the derwentwater 10 mile race.

Strangely although the peaks and the yorkshire dales are closer its as quick for me to drive past them and go on the A66 to the lakes.

Edit: As this is the 1000 miles thread .. I am up to 983.3 miles run so far this year. Still not found a way to log what i walk properly
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Er, can't remember mileage, but we'll over a 1000 miles now.

Just popping by to say that my pedometer died and after 8 years of pedometer wearing, it feels weird:(
  • indesisiv
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    Er, can't remember mileage, but we'll over a 1000 miles now.

Just popping by to say that my pedometer died and after 8 years of pedometer wearing, it feels weird:(

Awww poor thing... you tired it out!
  • bugslet
    Options
    I'm on my fourth now, named imaginatively Bug I, Bug II, Bug III and now BugIV ( look I don't name cars or anything, but then again pedometers are more intimate:o).

Arrived this morning and I'm much happier now.:D
  • indesisiv
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    I'm on my fourth now, named imaginatively Bug I, Bug II, Bug III and now BugIV ( look I don't name cars or anything, but then again pedometers are more intimate:o).

Arrived this morning and I'm much happier now.:D

Well I can honestly say you are the first person that I have ever heard of that has named their pedometer. :rotfl:
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Woo Hoo.. 1000 miles run this year for me.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    Just scraped over my 30 mile target this week but still not too shabby considering that I was in hospital on Thursday under a general anaesthetic :o
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    So frustrating, a friend commented that he jogs 5 miles a day and everyone says 'well done for keeping up with your training'
    I comment that I have been walking 5 miles a day and the only reply back was 'do you not get bored' :mad:
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    When I am out and about in my village doing my three miles in 50 minutes I often come across runners dressed in their designer sportswear, sprinting past me. I'm sure they must think I am just playing at exercising. I don't wear special clothes, just put my trainers on and walk out the front door. What they don't know is that I can walk 140 miles in 7 days, and at age 67 that ain't bad at all.

The people who think there is no point in walking are those that can't be bothered to get off their backside.

Bye the way I'm up to 842 miles now.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • bugslet
    Options
    That's the benefit of dogs, you aren't exercising, you are just out with the dogs;). I do like to just go for a walk sometimes without them, but it soone starts to feel odd.

IIRC, I read that walking is one of those exercises that people are more likely to maintain, it costs nothing but a half decent pair of shoes, it's something people of all levels of fitness can take up and improve on and it's surprisingly easy to slot it in to your day whilst actually doing something else, posting a letter, going to the shops, seeing a friend.

For some reason Stephen Fry and walking popped into my head

http://www.motleyhealth.com/celeb/stephen-frys-diet-and-exercise-regime

Fry now walks everywhere, within reason. If he has an appointment and it is 5 miles away, he will walk it. And then walk back afterwards.

New puppy on Friday........I forsee a lot of walks, she's going to be a bit bigger than the others when she grows up!:j:j:j ( That's how excited I am:o)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure