Debt Free by 40, best Birthday present ever!?

Options

Comments

• ash302
    ash302 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Yay to Hubby's promotion and the extra you will be working. You'll be able to pay some nice chunks of those debts!!

I hope you find some MSE activity's to do with the children.

Wishing you lots of luck on your debt busting mission! Ash x:)
  • Mrs*Spendalot
    Options
    So, pay day 3 and all minimums paid again, so another £600 off the debt. Takes us under £20K which is a bit of a landmark....

We've been on holiday and it's also been the school holidays. We had £200 left in the account, which I was pleased with. It's gone straight in the savings account towards paying the loan off.

Next month's pay should be more generous for both Hubby and I, so we're hoping to start making better progress...
    Debt June '16 - £21500 :eek:
    Current debt June'17 - £10500 51% paid
    Car loan £10000/£7800 [STRIKE]Loan £5300/£5300[/STRIKE] CC £6200/£2700 Savings towards paying off car £700/7800
    DFD Aim - Dec '17 :)
  • hazeldreams
    Options
    Hi there!

Your situation is ever so similar to ours so I'll be subscribing and wishing you tons of luck on your journey! I'm on LBM no 3 I think?! Also trying to be debt free by 40 (you're absolutely right it would be the best birthday present ever!)

Best of luck and well done on your achievements so far!

Hazel x
    £1589.94 cc - DFD 31/12/22; £156,737.24 mortgage free target date 1/10/2026; £158,327.18 Total; Starting debt Jan 2019 £393,068; 60% cleared.
  • Mrs*Spendalot
    Options
    I've missed a couple of updates, but we've been doing really well the last 2 pay days. We've managed to pay off the personal loan and have saved £2.5k towards paying off the 0% credit card... we're very pleased!
    I need to update signature.... we're planning on paying off the 0% credit month off either this month or next...
    Car loan £10000/£7800 [STRIKE]Loan £5300/£5300[/STRIKE] CC £6200/£2700 Savings towards paying off car £700/7800
  • Mrs*Spendalot
    Options
    Payday 6..... I messed up my sums last time, not sure how. Still, we've been making slow progress.... The loan is cleared and we're saving towards paying off the 0% credit card. £2k saved, £4K to go....

Had a really expensive month or two, so we've only really managed the minimums. Been covering my parents mortgage and other outgoings while my dad has been ill in hospital which has cost us £3k. Luckily our extra salary has covered it, but it's been a bit painful. Still, my dad is on the mend now, so should only be another month or two.

Had car and boiler services and all passed, thank god!

Christmas shopping all done and money set aside for the inevitable massive food bills!!
  • Mrs*Spendalot
    Options
    So.... only 12 pay days to meet our DFD! We've had a slow few months with the debt repayment due to subbing my parents, but we've finished that now as dad is better and back at work as of tomorrow! To meet our target, we need to pay off £1200 a month, not sure if it's possible, but we'll give it a good go!
  • Mrs*Spendalot
    Options
    I haven't updated this in ages :eek: Goes to show how it's important to keep a close eye on things, I've been distracted and our debt repayments have slowed considerably!! Having said that, we have paid off £3600 since January which brings the debt down to £11K, so nearly half of what it was at the start of this diary...:T

We're in the midst of getting planning permission for the work we want to do on the house, but we won't start the actual build until all our debt is gone. We plan to add the build costs to the mortgage, so we don't want any other debt hanging around. Also, the payments for the extra mortgage will be the same amount as the minimum payments on our existing debt.
    I'm 40 in 8 months time, not sure we'll quite manage it, but will give it a good go....

So.... i need to:
    • update my signature and SOA as both have changed a lot.
    • say 'no' to the children more, hubby and I are both a bit too generous
    • start monitoring where we're frittering, last month's statement showed a lot of cash withdrawals, little top up shops and amazon purchases!
  • Mrs*Spendalot
    Options
    Here it is, an up to date SOA. Didn't take too long as was pretty thorough in the first place, just some figures changed. I've put some explanatory notes in red

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 5
    Number of cars owned.................... 2 needed for work

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1250
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 4330
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 5580

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 1220
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 200
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 208
    Electricity............................. 50 these are on a dual fuel plan, not sure on breakdown but is £100pm
    Gas..................................... 50
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 40 we were forced to get a meter...grrrrr
    Telephone (land line)................... 35 this is phone and fibre broadband (needed for work)
    Mobile phone............................ 100 4 mobiles; 2 for us, 2 for eldest two children
    TV Licence.............................. 10
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 7 Now TV
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 600 includes all lunches, booze, toiletries and nappies
    Clothing................................ 100 probably more, but difficult to track as so variable
    Petrol/diesel........................... 100 mainly work commutes
    Road tax................................ 24
    Car Insurance........................... 40
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 25 includes RAC
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 100 work commutes not inc.petrol
    Childcare/nursery....................... 180
    Other child related expenses............ 100 brownies, scouts, swimming and pocket money
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 22
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 20
    Contents insurance...................... 15
    Life assurance ......................... 25
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 250 this is something I need to look at
    Haircuts................................ 30
    Entertainment........................... 200 we probably spend more, but this is my aim
    Holiday................................. 150 we've had a holiday this year, this is to save for next year
    Emergency fund.......................... 100
    Professional fees....................... 32 necessary for my work
    Total monthly expenses.................. 4033

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 575000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 15000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 590000

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 240000...(1220).....2.49
    Hire Purchase (HP) debt ...... 8000.....(200)......6.9 includes balloon payment of £6k due May '17
    Total secured & HP debts...... 248000....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Credit card....................3000......125.......0
    Total unsecured debts..........3000......125.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 5,580
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 4,033
    Available for debt repayments........... 1,547
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 125
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 1,422

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 590,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -248,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -3,000
    Net Assets.............................. 339,000

Created using the SOA calculator at https://www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.
  • Mrs*Spendalot
    Options
    I find the above frustrating as we should have so much spare, but we don't. Must get a grip on it as it's probably very doable to be debt free by Christmas! Not sure why my comments aren't in red, but they're still pretty clear...
    We get paid next week, I'm going to sit down and really go through the statement carefully and keep such a close eye in June. Kids and hubby will hate it!!!
    I'll aim to update this at least monthly so I can really monitor it... I keep reading about YNAB and spreadsheets, might need to start a more stringent money routine!!
  • clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I find the above frustrating as we should have so much spare, but we don't. Must get a grip on it as it's probably very doable to be debt free by Christmas! Not sure why my comments aren't in red, but they're still pretty clear...
    We get paid next week, I'm going to sit down and really go through the statement carefully and keep such a close eye in June. Kids and hubby will hate it!!!
    I'll aim to update this at least monthly so I can really monitor it... I keep reading about YNAB and spreadsheets, might need to start a more stringent money routine!!

Hi MissSAL,

I understand your frustration. I could be your twin. On the face of it we both earn good wages and should have lots to pay off the debt but something seems to crop up every month that throws us. I also seem to self-sabotage with money as well. Not sure where it comes from as my parents are excellent with money and OH's parents are too.
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business