We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

working Tax Credit

Options
I have been told that I am now NT(no tax).I am considering going back to work after a period of being on Incapacity Benefit. The job center say I will get £98.00 working tax credits if i work 16 hours or more a week.I am now concerned that the change in my tax because of my bankruptcy willaffect what WTC I will get.I would be grateful if anyone could enlighten me on this. I dont want to find myself in a worse financial state by doing the wrong thing.

Comments

• debt_doctor
    Options
    Hi, I pressume your WTC award is that high because you have the disability premium, and hence the need to only work 16 hours ( unless you have children ? ) All that happens with your NT tax code is that the tax you would normally pay to the inland revenue goes to the OR instead.

Bear in mind though that working tax credit will count as income for an IPA.

Best wishes

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • cookiesmum
    Options
    Thanks for your quick reply DD. Yes part of it is Disability Premium.I am having to finnish my permitted working hours as I have been doing this for 52 weeks now.I will be earning about £36.00 a week more than I get now after i take rent and CT into account.I understand that I will have to tell the OR of any changes made.It's a big step for me coming off benefits but I just feel it's time to try and move on in life.Thanks again for your swift response.
  • debt_doctor
    Options
    Well done and the best of luck to you ! pop any other questions you might have and one of us will probably have the answer

Best wishes

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,295 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Were you in the same employment at the time of the bankruptcy order? if you are unemployed at time of BO, or change job after the BO, then the NT tax code is no longer applied.
  • cookiesmum
    Options
    Thanks DD. I went bankrupt on July 12th.It all still seems like a dream in a funny sort of way. I couldn't have got through it without this site. I read thousands of post and got most of the answers I needed, in such a scarey time. You all helped take the fear out of a terrible place I found myself.It's only now I wonder what took me so long to sort my life out. Onwards and upwards from now on.Bless you all.
  • cookiesmum
    Options
    JCSI I was working ten hours permitted work as I was on incapacity ben.If I start working 16hours it will be for a different company.
  • JCS1
    Options
    If you change employment, which it looks like you are planning to do, then the NT tax code will be cancelled and HMRC will issue you with a 'standard' tax code instead.
  • cookiesmum
    Options
    JCS1 Thanks. Does this mean it wont interfere with any WTC I will get.You'll have to excuse me for being so thick on this.
  • JCS1
    Options
    WTC and income tax are totally separate, so wont have any affect.
  • cookiesmum
    Options
    JCS1. Thanks that's great news. I can go to bed and stop worrying.Good night all x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport