Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Options

Comments

• Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes Posts: 29,014 Forumite
    Options
    LEJC wrote: »
    Good morning all...

It's been really interesting reading everyones updates on being frugal and the october challenge.
    I for one didnt realise just how many little things I buy probably just because they are on offer or seem a good deal.
    It's also interesting reading everyone else's experiences and seeing how now we are almost half way through how much others may have thought they were likely to spend and have gone over or are heading in that direction...me included.
    I suspect a lot of us have faced a dilemma about something during the time and have each resolved it in the way we saw fit...mine so far has been the using of vouchers for a meal out...but could so easily have been the same as Tiny and perhaps not including a wine purchase!
    It's so easily done to step off the challenge when we can in our own way justify the reason....but for the purposes of the challenge we did set our own rules and what I do admire is the way that so many are having a go and those that are not are at least supporting and perhaps thinking of the deeper message behind how each shop.....as mhoc said yesterday everyone has their own perceptions and it's easy to judge someone by your own standards to decide what is frugal or not...but at the end of the day its about having what you want at a price you can afford and being comfortable with it.

What I am finding difficult is the being spontaneous with purchases and even I am missing the odd take away coffee or impromptu meal out "just because".
    It is difficult living to a budget and I find that things need regimental planning and is taking up more time than I would really like it to.

I will be glad when the challenge is over,but there are elements that I will adjust into everyday life going forward and I think it has made me realise that living on a very tight budget is not fun,its restricting at times and I would go as far as to say if done long term has the potential to isolate you from people purely because to go out for a coffee and cake costing £2.50 could present the choice of eating or not going forward in the week.

Today I do need to shop,but it will be for basics and hopefully at A where I can use a couple of small wombles.

Morning LEJC,

I feel today like I failed miserably yesterday. :o I already bought 4 of those BB creams when they were £2.50 down from £9.99. One each for me and the girls and even then I had similar stuff already stashed. At one point before the free gift started my local had 3 on the shelf rtc £1 but I resisted and left them there. Since the free gift was advertisied I looked and they were down to one so I still left it, didn't add another cheap item for the free gift which I could have done. But seeing 3 on the shelf yesterday in another store and knowing that I would get the free gift for buying 2 even though I have no reason whatsoever to justify getting any more other than it was a bargain I was tempted. :(

I definitely would have been out for lots more tea and cake I didn't realise quite how much I just pop in here and there. There is a lovely caf! in town that does homemade cake and tea for £3 of an afternoon, I used to take my mum there so often go in on my own but I haven't this month yet. ;) If DD3 had not fancied a takeaway the other evening I would have gone without, but seemed unfair for her to miss out because of something I made a choice to do. But she was happy with the reduced amount we got it satisfied her want...

Thing is I do know what it is like to be on a very tight budget. When the girls were younger before I had DD3, we lived in a one bedroom flat, loads of negative equity, mortgage rates sky high. Once we had paid all the bills we had £3 a week left, decision for cakes, bottle of wine or beer for a treat. Going out wasn't an option. Xmas/birthdays were on credit. :o It was how I first found MSE when things had picked up enough that we no longer needed to spend on the CC and wanted to clear it. I was a CC tart, think that's what they are called. :rotfl: Was here I found the cheapest deals to transfer to and then stumbled across the forums. :eek: The rest is history....;)
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 10:42AM
    Options
    You've not failed in any way Tiny....we set our own rules so they were there to be broken or moved as the goal posts allowed!

I always said yours was an ambitious amount and perhaps you did set something based on what you would like to spend rather than using any proof of spending...I know I just plucked a figure out of thin air based loosely on what we spend on takeaways per month.

but its made us think....thinking is good but dont get too down over it you have not failed you have learnt.

If its any consolation...I'm missing the cake too!

I think its a case of we may have all been there with living cheaply in the past....I shudder at the thought of even how we managed on the salaries we had when we first married...but I think as things move on you do adapt,ans as pay rises and change of circumstances happen things improve so you get used to a lifestyle....
    elite has taught me a different way to shop and I do stockpile when cheap but I just think that for me now its a case of remembering that we are going back to a 2 person household so there is not so much need to buy things in the quantities I may have done a year or 2 ago.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Tinyshoes
    Options
    locarr wrote: »
    with pics....Morning ALL! :)

14595544_1406915689335977_4957609233671224727_n.jpg?oh=ecdf2feed80859b839c2359a4e3bc75d&oe=58AA570B
    14681822_1406915682669311_4176676845848889555_n.jpg?oh=ed0ca0f2e6e39c61e4bb74233a7c56f8&oe=58AC4840

Wow fantastic whoopsies, you hit lucky there. :T
  • aau1
    aau1 Posts: 19,401 Forumite
    Options
    zippydooda wrote: »
    Free hot drink

1. From the 10 October myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy a medium free tea or coffee from one of our coffee machines in the following branches,Clifton, Leigh-on-Sea, Southend, Bury St Edmunds, Norwich and Swaffham, will need to make a purchase in branch prior to qualifying for a free hot drink. Restrictions apply please see clause 6. Exclusions apply see clause 12.

2. From the 19 September myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy a medium free tea or coffee from one of our coffee machines in the following branches, Mountsorrel and Billericay, will need to make a purchase in branch prior to qualifying for a free hot drink. Restrictions apply please see clause 6. Exclusions apply see clause 12.

3. From the 07 September 2016 myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy a medium free tea or coffee in Hazelmere, Battersea, Bagshot Road, Roehampton, Burgh Heath, Burnt Common, Petts Wood, Sceptre, Ealing, Horley, Ken Gardens, Broxbourne, Tubs Hill, Headington, Guildford, will need to make a minimum of £30 spend on fuel. Exclusions apply see clause 12.

4. Offer available to all myWaitrose members on presentation of a myWaitrose card in store. Cardholder must be present.

5. myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy a free tea or coffee in one of our Caf!s, Bakery counters with seating areas and Deli counters with seating areas will need to make a purchase in the caf! or bakery prior to qualifying for a free hot drink.

6. One per myWaitrose member per day.

7. Only Americano, Cappuccino, Latte, Tea, Mocha and Espresso (Decaffeinated versions, Mocha and Espresso available in selected stores only) qualify as a free hot drink.

8. Selected stores only, excludes online, petrol filling stations, Shell and Welcome Break.

9. Subject to availability.

10. Cannot be used in conjunction with other caf! or hot drink offers.

11. At any till the myWaitrose card must be scanned to activate the offer. Quickpay customers must scan their myWaitrose card at any point during their shop.

12. ‘Excluded Items’, infant formula, single use carrier bags, tobacco, stamps, mobile top ups, e-Top up vouchers, lottery tickets, gift vouchers, cash back, car park charges, fuel and delivery charges.

cool. My store's not affected, and even if it was it still sounds like you could buy a 1p piece of ginger to activate the offer :rotfl:
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is [strike]the word[/strike] a moorhen
  • Tinyshoes
    Options
    You've not failed in any way Tiny....we set our own rules so they were there to be broken or moved as the goal posts allowed!

I always said yours was an ambitious amount and perhaps you did set something based on what you would like to spend rather than using any proof of spending...I know I just plucked a figure out of thin air based loosely on what we spend on takeaways per month.

but its made us think....thinking is good but dont get too down over it you have not failed you have learnt.

I did pluck £100 out of thin air, more disturbing is I really thought I could do it. :eek:

Anyway no veg box being delivered this week so no big increase in my total on Friday. :D We still have plenty from last week and tomatoes/cucumbers in the hot house. Sweetcorn down the allotment. :)

I'm not really missing the cake if I am honest it has made me realise I pop in more than I should. I was proud of myself on Tuesday as went into Caf! Nero for my free hot drink with O2 priority but all the codes had gone by the time I went to click on the offer luckily I hadn't asked for anything...I walked straight back out and didn't part with any money. My cake that day was my free graze snack box from Boot on 02 priority. :money:

You are doing so well with your food shopping LEJC, nearly half way there I reckon you will do it. :)

Wonder how SSM will get on today. Can't wait to see her total later. :eek: :rotfl:
  • Tinyshoes
    Options
    Right I should not be here, I am meant to be clearing the caravan and Mr TS is meeting me there later to take the awning down.

Snap I will PM you later are you still coming down to Wimborne on Saturday? Give me a PM because if we get everything done ok today an Elite meet could be on the cards. ;)
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    Tinyshoes wrote: »
    Right I should not be here, I am meant to be clearing the caravan and Mr TS is meeting me there later to take the awning down.

can I swap jobs with you...I shouln't be here either but a caravan seems a doddle compared to my challenge!!!

I tossed a coin with OH...he got the kitchen to clean...still a very tall order but I think I should have done best of 3 tosses
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • mrsmac10
    mrsmac10 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Options
    Advice please

I am looking for a moderate priced red wine as a gift

Can anyone recommend

TIA
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Having cooked for a household for years we still find cooking just for 2 of us a struggle, getting the quantities small enough so that there are no left overs.

Its made worse by one of us having such different tastes - OH being a carnivore and me eating very little meat.
    Summer is better as we often do salads 3 days in a row but winters are much worse.

Some things now are never on the menu eg beef or pork casseroles as there is not a lot of point making a casserole just for one and then having to do a separate something for me as well. Some nights OH has a pork chop and I have a piece of fish so that's the comprise.

On the rare occasions one of our offspring does bother to visit and stay long enough to be fed then there is much rejoicing in the kitchen - huge vats of mince and onions, even a pork shoulder roast with all of the trimmings - even better if they stay several nights and then we can go through our entire menu of family meals again :D

I think its a case of we may have all been there with living cheaply in the past....I shudder at the thought of even how we managed on the salaries we had when we first married...but I think as things move on you do adapt,ans as pay rises and change of circumstances happen things improve so you get used to a lifestyle....
    elite has taught me a different way to shop and I do stockpile when cheap but I just think that for me now its a case of remembering that we are going back to a 2 person household so there is not so much need to buy things in the quantities I may have done a year or 2 ago.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Tinyshoes
    Options
    can I swap jobs with you...I shouln't be here either but a caravan seems a doddle compared to my challenge!!!

I would rather be cleaning a bathroom, no matter how grubby. :p

Every cupboard/locker has to be emptied and packed away for the season. Lugging heavy boxes about... The awning will have to be scrubbed of leaf mould etc at home and packed away. Not my idea of fun at all. :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure