We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Would bankcruptcy be a good option??

Options
Hi, not sure what to do about this for the best or what option so hopefully somebody out there can help!

My 19 year old son is now in debt of £5,500 due to buying a car he couldn't afford!!! He also owes £400 on car insurance. To pay this off would take him years as he is only on a low wage as an apprentice. Would bankcruptcy be an option or should he just pay it over over the next zillion years!!

Hope somebody can advise.

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    he needs to post a SOA before advice can sensibly be given.. details of income and expenses and the debt details.

presumably the car can be sold and this will help to pay some of the loan off.
  • betterlatethannever
    Options
    Hi LJW,
    In my opinion, this seems a small amount for one so young to be considering BR, Br is a HUGE step and should never be taken lightly. Although if he can't afford the repayments the actual amount is unimportant-if you can't afford it, you can't afford it and thats that.
    If hes struggling with the repayments is there no way he can increase his income a little (night time glass collecting/bar work etc) ?
    Maybe he should contact one of the free advice agencies, such as:

Your local CAB Office and ask to speak to a 'money advisor'.
    The Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) - Tel: 0800 138 1111
    National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000
    Payplan - Tel: 0800 917 7823.
    or visit
    http://www.cccs.co.uk/
    http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/
    http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index.htm

Hope this helps a little
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • debt_doctor
    Options
    Im taking a guess that it is a shortfall debt after a controlled credit agreement ( hp) ?? Bankruptcy is a massive step for such a relatively small amount of debt. I think a DMP is more sensible in the 1st instance.

Maybe he could then take advantage of next years new legislation of the'debt relief order' which is for people who have debts of £15 K or less, very little asetts, and will not have the effects that bankruptcy has. It is also only going to have a cost of about £ 100 to it.

Best wishes

DD

ps good night all !
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • LJW_2
    LJW_2 Posts: 354 Forumite
    Options
    Hi thanks for your advice. Can I ask what a DMP is and where could I get more information about this thing you said would be coming in next year?

Also I have taken charge of my sons bank account and will be giving him limited money each week so the rest can be paid to the debts. By the way the amount is for the shortfall of the car. Lot of money for saying he only had the car 2 months!!!!!!!!!! But on the positive side surely he should learn from this!!
  • scaredwitless32
    Options
    Hi,
    Anyone on the debt charities (links above in betterlatethannevers post) will be able to offer you advice on a DMP, Debt management plan, and the info on the new debt relief order is on the following http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/insolvencyprofessionandlegislation/intermediariesworkingroup/debtrelief.htm
    Hope this helps :)

Just had a quick look and theres not much info on the relief order, just a vague outline of how it works.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport