Martins money

Options
Evening all,

I posted this here as I'm a DFW regular, but it could be on any thread really.

I was talking to my mum this week about something financial and she said 'well on Martin's money, it said ...' And I just thought, wouldn't it be great if we could rename the site that to avoid confusion with other commercial sites of similar name to MSE.

Thoughts / suggestions / comments ?
Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Considering Martin sold up to Moneysupermarket, it wouldn't work. MSE has been MSE long before these other sites of similar names came along.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    That's disappointing, I thought it was a great idea, and even though it's no longer Martins site, site doesn't mean it can't change name, so many people are confused by the similar names, even though I love MSE , I'd respect a name change if it helped others find the right advice.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,097 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sazzie23 wrote: »
    That's disappointing, I thought it was a great idea, and even though it's no longer Martins site, site doesn't mean it can't change name, so many people are confused by the similar names, even though I love MSE , I'd respect a name change if it helped others find the right advice.

It's all politics, copywrite, and lawyers these days.

Site owners have the last say on things like this.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It ain't broke, why fix it? To someone who has just landed on the planet and is looking to save money, "money saving expert" is an obvious place to look: It does what it says on the tin. "Martin's money" could be anything; it is not something I would look at; I would assume it was some saddoe's boring blog, not a site for everyone, to help everyone.

Get over it.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Totally agree - money saving expert is what it says it is. The face that people shorten it to MSE doesn't change it. I think Martin and MSE are inextricably linked forever....whether he sold it or not, the principles on which he created the site are not going to change.

I don't think the name needs changing :)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 June 2016 at 12:30PM
    Options
    Thanks, January, totally agree about Mr. Lewis being linked to MSE forever. I reckon, if they ever get around to teaching schoolkids about money, the way they keep saying they will, that his name will be one every child knows, the way we all know who Shakespeare was, even if some of us (like me) don't understand a word he wrote.

Martin Lewis' greatest gift, imho, is that he communicates in a way anyone can understand, not in the patronising way one associates with most so-called experts.
  • zenshi
    zenshi Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Me and my family have always called the site Martins money between us :D
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    June 20.....£7,587.....3 creditors left 72% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £17,103
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £37,764
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family