How to cure Anxiety on a low budget

Options

Comments

• Lamentation
    Lamentation Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    You don't mention medication, which can be very effective - what have you tried of these?

I've always avoided going through a GP for this, hoping to conceal it from potential employers by choosing more private methods which I don't feel so very obliged to disclose to employers.

I've been reluctant to go down the medication route, seeing it as a last resort, something that masks the underlying root cause and wanting a more natural solution.

However, I am reaching the last resort.

I had a big think about all the job opportunities I have screwed up over a decade plus through anxiety/nerves/confidence, perhaps a touch of depression, plus the loss of friendships, social withdrawal and so forth.

I've not only ended contracts early but pulled out of job interviews, turned down job offers, walked out of interviews, performed badly at them, fallen out with colleagues and line managers, etc. The last straw is being overwhelmed in a role I really wanted with an organisation I really admired and only lasting a short period before I resigned (I lost nearly half a stone in less than a week, couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, felt so giddy I thought I could faint, stomach cramps and so forth).

I have tried Diazepam informally - a friend gave me some tablets to calm me down before job interviews (and I was offered a couple of jobs when I used them, but didn't get a couple on them, after not getting around 8 jobs following an interview in a row without tablets). Can't say whether or not it was luck/coincidence/placebo effect as I did feel a bit more chilled out but I didn't feel a massive change in mood or anything, to be honest, and the successful interviews were more like chats rather than the formal grind of competency based ones that I usually screw up.

I found out I may be entitled to some support from Combat Stress because of my service history and I am awaiting (an overdue) call back from them to take details. However, the worst of my nerves/blues/frustration/weepiness/self pity from screwing up my latest job has passed so I'm not in a hurry to follow up.
  • shannonhill
    shannonhill Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    There is no permanent cure to something like anxiety. The best you can do is to manage it and adapt to situations you face in life. I believe you already have the best thing you need in your situation - a Supporting Partner.
  • JohnConey
    Options
    1. Do meditation and yoga
    2. Always think positively
    3. Think about the happy moments of life.
  • Lamentation
    Options
    Update

After not coping with my job and quitting after a couple of days due to anxiety, I read Claire Weekes book, literature from Anxiety UK and No Panic and the Anxietycoach website - the advice really chimed with me. I also completed a buddism foundation course and maintained a consistent meditation practice.

Unfortunately, I have just quit another job after 3 weeks due to being overwhelmed and feeling wretched - had the usual groundhog day and descended into a spiral that I couldn't get out of. I get the theory of how anxiety works and how to tackle it but can't seem to apply the advice given.

I have arranged counselling with Combat Stress, visited my GP and been prescribed Citalopram and had a chat with the Samaritans so I'm feeling brighter.

What I have to do now is find a job in a new field after having destroyed my CV by quitting two jobs in the last couple of months and now unable to supply positive recent references. Also need to find an employer who won't reject me for my mental health issues....I need a new career because my current industry is one that I associate with pressure, discomfort and suffering, and not being any good at it.

Now I've got something tangible to worry about....
  • nkkingston
    nkkingston Posts: 488 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm glad you're trying medication. Anxiety can feel like something you ought to be able to fix just by thinking about it, but the fact of the matter is anxiety starts with your brain chemicals being out of whack. Sometimes that happens because of periods of extended stress or traumatic events, but sometimes it's triggered by other changes in your body. It's not just a matter of 'bad thinking'.

I started having anxiety attacks after changing birth control. The anxiety wasn't caused by my thoughts, my thoughts were caused by the anxiety. I was looking around for things to be anxious about to explain my racing heart and cold sweats, and then those things became triggers for the symptoms. Changing pills stopped the anxiety attacks, but has left me with the triggers, which is frustrating.

Medication is a tool to help break the symptom-trigger cycle. Take a bit of time to see if it's working for you, be open to trying other drugs is Citalopram isn't the perfect fit for you. Do consider another career - do a skills inventory, including hobbies, and try and think about other jobs that use them (it'll make you feel good about your talents, too). Do you make a mean pina colada? Could you teach the yoga you've learnt over the years? Do your friends come to you to find out what film to see next? You clearly write good job applications, so have you considered something in HR or training?

In my experience the charitable sector is much better about being fair to employees over mental health than the private sector (though remember, it's not something you're obliged to disclose!). Maybe while you're working back up to re-entering the workforce a bit of voluntary work might help you get past some of your trigger points and give you a stepping stone into the sector.
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    September 2021: £66,490
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2017 at 6:26PM
    Options
    Sorry you are going through this.

Can you look for part time work? If your career causes you anxiety then find something less pressured, though all jobs have their stresses, some more than others.

Have you tried EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), look up tapping.com or videos on youtube.
  • Lamentation
    Options
    Jox wrote: »
    Sorry you are going through this, my partner takes citalopram and while he would rather not take medication it does help him and when he stops taking it the anxiety comes back. He had low vitamin D levels and was taking tablets for that as well as low vit D can cause depression.

Can you look for part time work? If your career causes you anxiety then find something less pressured, though all jobs have their stresses, some more than others.

Have you tried EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), look up tapping.com or videos on youtube.

The GP issued me with a prescription for Thiamine (B1) due to my lack of appetite, stomach upsets and weight loss (I lost nearly a stone in a short period of time).

I have been very fortunate to get a part time temporary admin job with a recruitment agency in a non-pressurised role which will hopefully build up my confidence, CV and references. I start this week.

My last counsellor did show me EFT and also some other technique where I described traumatic experiences and tracked his moving finger with my eye. The four sessions I had with him seemed to set me back to my old self, convinced me I could handle a more pressurised role, but unfortunately I had those two meltdowns with subsequent employers. I was impressed with the techniques but I've never been able to sustain my periods of non-anxiety to any decent length, my resilience is easily broken.

However, I am getting on with my medication and do feel calmer, with better concentration, virtually no symptoms of anxiety. The side effects I experienced faded after the first week. I feel more relaxed, less self-absorbed, don't seem to have that negative internal chatter or have to gee myself up to do simple things, more energy, deeper sleep. My partner has also noticed a positive change in me over the past 3 weeks. I have re-started my daily meditation sessions and they aren't the restless struggle of old.

The new temporary job will be a good test to see if I am as stable and capable as I think I am.

Combat Stress have been a waste of time, I assume there is big demand on their services or I have been unlucky. I have registered twice and received no further follow up. I know I missed one call from the nurse (who didn't leave a message and never called again) and I was told 3 weeks ago, a counsellor would call to make an appointment and that's not materialised to date. Never mind.
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the update,good luck with everything, it sounds like you are on the right track
  • classy69
    classy69 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    A great website is anxiety no more. There is a blog on there with numerous very helpful topics and advice for people who suffer with anxiety.
  • AnnMollys
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    Anxiety is not something you cure, everyone has it to some extent, it is something you learn to manage.

What strikes me is that you don't follow through with the things you learn - the techniques from therapy, mindfulness, yoga etc. Think back to things that have worked in the past, how can you implement them into your life now? You don't need a therapist or a studio to do that, they can all be done at home.

I haven’t read all the replies, but this one really fits the scene, I believe it’s all about learning to live with it. I believe it’s a thing that comes with us and goes with us; it’s not something you can remove just like emotions. The only advice I could give you is to avoid overthinking because that’s where all problems are created. Also, it’s important that you keep yourself busy whether it’s with the job or any other activity…. Just don’t let yourself time to think instead make yourself so busy that you don’t have time to think about these stuff… Hope it helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure