Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: EU vote registration deadline extended until Thursday night

MSE_Luke
MSE_Luke Posts: 295 MSE Staff
First Anniversary
The deadline to register for a vote in the EU referendum has been extended to 11.59pm on Thursday 9 June after technical problems with the Government's website meant some people missed the original deadline...
Read the full story:
'EU vote registration deadline extended until Thursday night after website crashes'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Done.

Thank You Luke.
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's not exactly as if the referendum has just sneaked-up.

Why were so many people leaving it to the final hour and forty-five minutes to register?????

I can't ever remember a time where I haven't been registered to vote, granted I'm under 30 but in that time I've moved house several times and always moved my electoral registration.

It just beggars belief, especially considering there was an election just over a year ago for the whole of the UK and other elections regionally in May of this year that so many people had failed to register until the final hour and forty-five minutes.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Those that chase votes by electronic means (& who communicate by electronic means) have to be prepared for it to go wrong sometimes.

I foresee all sorts of legal wranglings post vote over whether or not it was fair, representative etc.
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Those that chase votes by electronic means (& who communicate by electronic means) have to be prepared for it to go wrong sometimes.

I foresee all sorts of legal wranglings post vote over whether or not it was fair, representative etc.

I doubt the additional number who will register will have much of an impact unless it is a phenomenally tight race.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Site down less than 2 hours but the deadline extended 48 hours - nothing to do with the majority of late ones expected to be "remain" voters.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    And there will still be people complaining that they need more time to register when it closes on Thursday.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    I don't think its people leaving it late .... its people who never intended to vote, but due to the rubbish being told by both sides feel they have to vote to make it all go away!
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    liviboy wrote: »
    It's not exactly as if the referendum has just sneaked-up.

Why were so many people leaving it to the final hour and forty-five minutes to register?????

I can't ever remember a time where I haven't been registered to vote, granted I'm under 30 but in that time I've moved house several times and always moved my electoral registration.

It just beggars belief, especially considering there was an election just over a year ago for the whole of the UK and other elections regionally in May of this year that so many people had failed to register until the final hour and forty-five minutes.

That's exactly what I've been thinking.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Sapphire
    Sapphire Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    It beggars belief. I smell a very large rat…
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 June 2016 at 2:06AM
    Sapphire wrote: »
    It beggars belief. I smell a very large rat…
    No need to smell much of a rat, at the general election only about 20% of late registrations ended up being new people on the electoral roll. Lots of people who were already on the toll applying again. So half a million late applications might mean just 100,000 new registrations. Similar late registration pattern that time as well, just a bit stronger this time, so uninspiring that the site couldn't cope.

Someone who tried to register but couldn't might face a lifetime of "I've been hard done by" resentment if the vote goes in a way different from the way they planned to vote. Worth a little consideration to help to prevent that.

If you want to try to undo the effect:

1. If in the exit group, offer to help locals who may need help and who are older to get to the polling station.
    2. if in the remain in group try similar with students and other young people.
    3. If you can control the weather, aim for snow or rain, as hard as possible, to decrease the turnout if you want an exit vote, since exit voters tend to be more committed to voting both by opinion and demographics.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure