WASPI Campaign .... State Pensions

Options

Comments

• slightlymiffed
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    See post 246 (same page) from Jem (aka "Miss Rottweiler")

Yes - and I said this to 'Jem' too, in an attempt to find some common ground :-

Finally, I do know yours and indeed most forum members' views on the 2011 Act - you have conceded that it was unfair. We can at least agree on something then! As a summer 1954 born, I do feel aggrieved at the lack of notice and the additional, and entirely random method of acceleration. It is a complete mess.

But of course, she was having none of it. I am defined as a 'Waspi sympathiser' and as such, I have to be brought down (she'd doubtless prefer deportation or incarceration). :rotfl:
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    But of course, she was having none of it. I am defined as a 'Waspi sympathiser' and as such, I have to be brought down (she'd doubtless prefer deportation or incarceration). :rotfl:

You don't need me to bring you down. You're doing a grand job all by yourself.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have to say that I find it increasingly worrying the lack of personal responsibility people feel for their situation.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    Options

HMRC managed to 'inform' me that I had a shortfall on my NI contributions so why not bother to 'inform' me of my new state pension age? ..........

Why would HMRC bother - they don't pay state pensions, DWP do.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 August 2016 at 11:39PM
    Options
    'Advocacy piece'? Interesting choice of wording there...
    I called it an advocacy piece because that's what he was doing. He wasn't trying to write an overview of the pensions system.
    you seem to have regurgitated (again) some more 'government approved research findings'.
    That was because you again made a false statement that:
    DWP had not yet begun their 'extensive' information campaign
    so it was useful to remind you again that it had started years earlier. Of course it's not unusual, as you demonstrated recently:
    the thought of jamesd's legal challenge
    when of course I'd written about funding rather than being the lead complainant:
    jamesd wrote: »
    I'd happily help to fund any legal campaign to reduce the increase in discrimination against men that it contained, such as moves to further increase or reduce the decrease in women's state pension age that it contains. Same way I'd be happy to help to fund legal action against anything the WASPI2 or WASPI3 groups achieve that discriminates or increases discrimination against men. I'd also consider it for anything that discriminates against women in the area of state pensions
    As a poster here wrote yesterday:
    Of course I don't find it acceptable for either 'side' of the debate to embellish the truth or tell downright lies
    and naturally I do wish said poster would be diligent in not acting in a manner they described as unacceptable.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Why would HMRC bother - they don't pay state pensions, DWP do.
    HMRC are the holders of contributions data which is key to the pensions data. DWP get copies for forecasting purposes and when people reach SPa.

Strangely people keep ignoring the fact that DWP did a huge exercise around 2004 or so (it was a long time ago and I can't remember the precise days) which sent "unsolicited" pensions forecasts which included details of the female changes to all of the working age population.

I know this as a fact, I was involved in the operation and my wife got one. I didn't as I had received a "combined" forecast with my employers scheme earlier in the year.

People were told. They chose not the read it. They do not get my sympathy.

Move on.
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 August 2016 at 5:06PM
    Options
    I really can't understand 'slightlymiffed' if they're so bothered about their circumstances why don't they supplement their income by doing some extra work. Maybe some local Barwork in the evening, or a flexible working agreement doing some cleaning? There's plenty additional work available for those still active.

Your last sentence answers your question. Many women my age have already had to give up work or reduce their hours due to having elderly parents to care for or ill health to contend with. I have sadly already lost a few friends to cancer who didn't even live long enough to draw their pensions let alone look for extra work.

I don't think you realise how difficult it is for women 60+ to find work. My friend works full time in seasonal work in a cafe from March to end September. She then has seasonal work again every year from Mid November to Xmas Eve. In the intervening periods she can find no work whatsoever so from Xmas until March she really is on the breadline. She doesn't get JSA as nobody will take her on knowing that she is back to her regular job in March. She sometimes manages to find a bit of book keeping to do and also a few hours cleaning but other than that she has to eke out her earnings from the rest of the year as she lives alone.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pennylane wrote: »
    Your last sentence answers your question. Many women my age have already had to give up work or reduce their hours due to having elderly parents to care for or ill health to contend with. I have sadly already lost a few friends to cancer who didn't even live long enough to draw their pensions let alone look for extra work.

I don't think you realise how difficult it is for women 60+ to find work. My friend works full time in seasonal work in a cafe from March to end September. She then has seasonal work again every year from Mid November to Xmas Eve. In the intervening periods she can find no work whatsoever so from Xmas until March she really is on the breadline. She doesn't get JSA as nobody will take her on knowing that she is back to her regular job in March. She sometimes manages to find a bit of book keeping to do and also a few hours cleaning but other than that she has to eke out her earnings from the rest of the year as she lives alone.

She should be able to claim jsa, and should do so if entitled as that is the purpose of the benefits system, together with any other benefits she might be entitled to, hosting benefit, council tax relief, tax credits etc etc

It doesn't matter if someone will take her on or not for a few weeks or months, so long as she demonstrates she is actively seeking employment she shouldn't get any issues with claiming her benefits.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,900 Forumite
    Options
    If she claimed JSA she would also get NI credits which should help with adding that year to her state pension entitlement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure