Accounts disappeared from credit report

Options
I defaulted on several accounts five years ago. Two are with the same lender, and they have both disappeared from my credit report.

One was acknowledged as being unenforceable and I stopped paying them in January. The other was an overdraft they had no paperwork, which they said they didn't need to provide. I was paying a small amount to this one.

Is it likely they have been written off, or sold to a DCA?

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ben75 wrote: »
    I defaulted on several accounts five years ago. Two are with the same lender, and they have both disappeared from my credit report.

One was acknowledged as being unenforceable and I stopped paying them in January. The other was an overdraft they had no paperwork, which they said they didn't need to provide. I was paying a small amount to this one.

Is it likely they have been written off, or sold to a DCA?

You will need to check with the creditor to find if they are "written off" or sold.

If they no longer appear on your credit report then it will no longer affect you getting credit in the future with other companies.

You could choose to no longer pay. Especially the unenforceable debt and they have 6 years to take court action against you. They can't do that with the unenforceable debt. The debt isn't "written off" they just can't take court action against you. You will always owe the money until you die or are declared bankrupt.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Ben 75,

It is extremely unlikely that the creditor has taken it upon themselves to simply write off the debts. It could be that the debts have been passed or sold on, or reported to another credit reference file or dropped off naturally - debts will only appear for 6 years from the date of default.

Stay vigilant - keep your eye on your post and credit files. Happy MJ raises a good point about the Limitations Act, which states that if there has been a 6 year block of time since the debt fell due, with no written acknowledgement or payment to the debt and no County Court Judgement has been obtained, the debt may no longer be enforceable through the County Court and becomes known as Statute Barred. Bear in mind, if you have been making payments then this will keep resetting the 6 year clock.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Ben75
    Ben75 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Would they be able to sell an unenforceable debt? If someone tries to chase me for it, all it would take is one letter unless they can produce the goods.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure