Ynab

Options
I have been reading threads for advice on here and one thing recommended was the YNAB budgeting tool. I have signed up but I have to say I don't know what to do! It's designed for American accounts (from what I can see) it won't recognise my bank accounts at all (Halifax and First Direct) and I can't figure out where to put things like my direct debits.

Do I have to manually add every transaction that I have made (and thus every future transaction) or am I using it incorrectly? I have a 2 month free trial, but I am loathe to pay for something if I have to remember to come online and input everything I buy...

Help would be greatly appreciated if at all possible!
Thanks in advance

Trush
No Spend Days 2020 Jul 24 / 28 Jun 20/25 May 22/25 Apr 20/25 Mar 16/25 Feb 20/20 Jan 20/15
Clear all Debt in 2020 #97 WE DID IT!! DFD June2020

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    TrushTush wrote: »
    I have been reading threads for advice on here and one thing recommended was the YNAB budgeting tool. I have signed up but I have to say I don't know what to do! It's designed for American accounts (from what I can see) it won't recognise my bank accounts at all (Halifax and First Direct) and I can't figure out where to put things like my direct debits.

Do I have to manually add every transaction that I have made (and thus every future transaction) or am I using it incorrectly? I have a 2 month free trial, but I am loathe to pay for something if I have to remember to come online and input everything I buy...

Thanks in advance

Trush

Not sure, as I don't use it myself, but plenty of folk on here do use it, and find it very useful.

I`m sure a few of them will be along with the advice you need shortly, as its a bank holiday, give them a little time.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Trush,

I don't link any accounts via the direct import stuff - I just keep track manually. We have 5 accounts set up (OH and I log in with the same log in): My account, his account, joint account, my cash, his cash.

Set up your starting balances with how much you have in your account(s) today and then what you need to do with that money until you next get paid. You don't need to worry about it for past transactions, just start today.

You would need to track all your transactions, but that is one of the joys of YNAB as you'll start to see quite easily where your money is going.

Let me know how you get on. If you want to link your accounts then I'm sure someone will be along soon who does this.

HTH.
  • TrushTush
    TrushTush Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Energy Saving Champion Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thank you, I will do.
    No Spend Days 2020 Jul 24 / 28 Jun 20/25 May 22/25 Apr 20/25 Mar 16/25 Feb 20/20 Jan 20/15
  • TrushTush
    Options
    Thank you, I will do.
    Hi Trush,

I don't link any accounts via the direct import stuff - I just keep track manually. We have 5 accounts set up (OH and I log in with the same log in): My account, his account, joint account, my cash, his cash.

Set up your starting balances with how much you have in your account(s) today and then what you need to do with that money until you next get paid. You don't need to worry about it for past transactions, just start today.

You would need to track all your transactions, but that is one of the joys of YNAB as you'll start to see quite easily where your money is going.

Let me know how you get on. If you want to link your accounts then I'm sure someone will be along soon who does this.

HTH.

It does help thank you I think I will have to bite the bullet. I think it mentioned an app for phones? I will need to check as I'm rarely on the laptop.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    Options
    It does help thank you I think I will have to bite the bullet. I think it mentioned an app for phones? I will need to check as I'm rarely on the laptop.
    ynab
    ynab works via iPhone app, not sure if it's android compatible.

I use iPhone app to add manual shop purchases which sync to my macbook ynab.

or download bank statement from rbs dig banking which sync to ynab,

Very simple, think it should work via Windows p.c/laptop/Android mobiles,though cannot say for certain.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I dont link my bank account either, I manually enter my transactions via my phone and reconcile the accounts weekly on my laptop.

I currently have 35 on budget accounts and 1 off budget.

Enter your starting figure of whats in your account now and allocate those funds where you can till the next pay day, when your DD come out you do a transfer from one account to another and enter that transaction and the categories update each other.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2016 at 4:08PM
    Options

Thanks in advance

Trush

Try ynab classic, non americanised.

See my later post ref mobile app.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • TrushTush
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, I have an iphone so good to know it will work with that, I will use it for the trial but not sure how I feel about paying for it if I essentially have to do all the work. However this is just my initial opinion. I obviously need something as not doing so well alone!

Have a great bank holiday weekend all :)
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, I have an iphone so good to know it will work with that, I will use it for the trial but not sure how I feel about paying for it if I essentially have to do all the work. However this is just my initial opinion. I obviously need something as not doing so well alone!

Have a great bank holiday weekend all :)

I have been using ynab4 for nearly 2 years. It is worth it. I have no problem with doing it manually. Doing the work yourself does mean that you are fully aware of all your spending. The app does work on Android. i have apps on my phone and my ipod.
  • timefortea
    timefortea Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I use the iPhone app to manually enter my spending and I think that affects how much I spend. I know it sounds daft, but I feel like I'm not passively wondering where my money's gone after I've spent it any more, I'm actively deciding where it goes. Manually entering it makes me feel more in control.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure