Default on file - I wasn't then 18

Options
Hello all,

Not sure what to do, I have a default that's due to drop off in a year from a store credit account that I "opened" in 2008; I did not actually turn 18 until 2010.

I did not misinform them of my age at the time nor at the time did I know that I couldn't hold a financial agreement until I was 18.

My DOB and all other details are correct on the account.

It was a clothing store credit account, I remember the young cashier telling me I could have a percentage off and not pay now and I guess in my youth I didn't really understand.

Ideally I want to to remove the (small) amount default from my file, it's a bit of an unusual situation, I'm not sure what to do!

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Fawun,

When was the default actually entered on your credit file? I appreciate that you were a minor when you took out this contract but it isn't necessarily voided and if the contract is valid then the default is likely to stand too.

It is quite a complicated issue but generally speaking, if this was for a non essential item you would have needed to have attempted to challenge the validity of the contract before your turned 18 or within a reasonable time after turning 18. If you didn't do this then it is likely the contract will stand. Alternatively, if the items were classed as a 'necessary' then the contract will likely be valid. I hope that helps.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure