David Lloyd Oxford refurbishment

I am a member of David Lloyd, Oxford. The club is being refurbished. The pool is closed and will remain so for several weeks. We have not been offered any 'sweeteners' and/or money back and are still being charged our full subscription fee. I think they might be offering us a coffee on the house (but they are also writing to ex members offering that). Where do we stand in legal/consumer rights' terms? Should we be entitled to some money back?

Comments

• Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Where do we stand in legal/consumer rights' terms? Should we be entitled to some money back?

Way back when I was into that sort of thing I joined a Gym. I was really annoyed that they'd turn off the Sauna when they thought there weren't enough people to have it on. When I complained they shrugged and pointed to the small print in the contract which allowed them to do it. Early in the morning the showers would often be cold for the first half hour or so while the water heated up.... again all I got was a shrug.

A while later with around 6 months left to run on my contract they decided that as a number of other gyms had opened in the area they decided to close. Got a months notice and that was it. What would have happened if a member had decided that after 6 months they'd had enough? tough! Yet, again they pointed to the small print and said they were allowed to do it.

Never joined another gym and haven't/won't ever again.

BTW this was from a very well known gym chain.

To answer your point I suspect after reading your contract that you have absolutely no rights what so ever other than the absolute obligation to keep paying them money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure