eBay's exact returns policy

Options
I'm a business seller on eBay, and I accept returns for any reason. However, I also make customised to request items from scratch. My question is, eBay are telling me I have to accept returns for these items. Of course I understand accepting returns for mis-described, but I'm asking for as described items. I was also told buyers can basically return anything, including after using make up/beauty products, or underwear (knickers included) as long as they send it back in a sealed packet? Could someone please clear this up for me, some of my items I customise to the point I would not be able to re-sell them. And of course used knickers would go in the bin as would used make up!

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ebay and EU legislation should not be confused or compared.

Ebay require you to accept returns. End of.

If you sell customised items, you should either find another site to sell these items, or add a premium to your items to cover any returns which cannot be resold.
  • eirroc
    eirroc Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    And a premium to cover used knickers and used beauty products I assume, shocking!
  • eirroc
    Options
    I am still a bit confused though, how can they on one hand say items must be sent back in the same condition received, and then say it's ok to return used knickers/make up/beauty products?
    You must return an item in the same condition as it was received. You must also include, in the same condition as it was received:
    • All original packaging such as boxes, bags and tags
    • Accessories such as cords and remote controls
    • Certificates, manuals, and warranty cards
    • Free gifts or bonus items
    • All items included in a bundle
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So do you sell Knickers and makeup?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    eirroc wrote: »
    I am still a bit confused though, how can they on one hand say items must be sent back in the same condition received, and then say it's ok to return used knickers/make up/beauty products?
    You must return an item in the same condition as it was received. You must also include, in the same condition as it was received:
    • All original packaging such as boxes, bags and tags
    • Accessories such as cords and remote controls
    • Certificates, manuals, and warranty cards
    • Free gifts or bonus items
    • All items included in a bundle

Don't get too bogged down in the detail. Basically if you want to return something as a change of mind, it needs to be as per your list. If you want to return something for SNAD, then it's just a case of returning what you were sent.
  • eirroc
    Options
    Ah ok thank you, so returning something that's been used after purchase, (unless SNAD of course) is not covered? Just trying to clear this up as I get alot of different answers from eBay, and was looking for some advice that was actually completely clear, so difficult to not get bogged down in the details as they do matter.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thats where a lot of sellers fail. They do not take into account the buyers that abuse ebay and purchase stuff to use once and them return them.

You need to factor these into your profits/losses.

A make bought a business startup kit. When i asked him how much each one cost to send out he didnt have a clue.

If you dont know the total costs, buying the initial goods and then the time and electricity then how do you know your making a profit?

He didnt factor in one machine used 2kw and it took approx 20 minutes to do the first item. Additional items could be done faster after though.

Then he bought some stuff from China to resell, He didnt add a margin in for those that received the goods and claimed they didnt work or faulty in some way. Made a loss on that also.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• eirroc
    Options
    You need to factor these into your profits/losses.

Thank you for your reply, I'm still a bit in the dark though. eBay say to return it in the same condition sent, but then say you have to accept returns in any condition? Sorry to be a pest I was just hoping someone had a definite answer? If not no problem I'll keep looking!
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If eBay rules are inconsistent with EU law doesn't the EU law hold the last word?

Granted it's never likely to get that far but just curious.
  • eirroc
    Options
    If eBay rules are inconsistent with EU law doesn't the EU law hold the last word?

As far as I'm aware eBay aren't governed by anyone, so I think it just comes down to eBay's rules rather than the law, which is why I was trying to find out their specific rules as I'm just getting contradictory information between the guidelines set out on their website, and CS. Seems like no-one can clarify it though :/ There must be consistency somewhere in eBay it's just trying to find out what the actual set rules are, it's proving more problematic than expected!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure