We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Easiest way to pack a double quilt?

Going on a cheapc holiday tomorrow but require own bedding but I don't drive so will be hand luggage.

Not far to walk either way. 5 minutes walk to bus stop, then it drops me off about 3 minutes walk from the station then its just changing platform at another station then 4 minutes walk from station to where I am staying.

But quilts are bulky and light so a pain to fit into a bag and I will have a small carrier bag with some spare clothes as well and my heavy backpack with toiletries and tablet, once I am there I will dump the quilt at end of week as its a older one and have a new one anyway.

So its just getting the thing down there that is the problem.

Comments

  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,688
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can you get it in a vacuum bag? Or put it in a bin bag and use the hoover to suck the air out then try to stuff it in a holdall?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Vacuum bag's the only way to do it - but do you NEED a quilt? It's not mid winter.

    Alternative is to see if there's a supermarket at the other end within 1/4 of a mile or so - and just buy their cheapest one when you arrive and bin it when you leave. £7-10 on the cost of a holiday for not having to lug a quilt about could be worth the cost.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Vacuum bag's the only way to do it - but do you NEED a quilt? It's not mid winter.

    Alternative is to see if there's a supermarket at the other end within 1/4 of a mile or so - and just buy their cheapest one when you arrive and bin it when you leave. £7-10 on the cost of a holiday for not having to lug a quilt about could be worth the cost.

    Im on benefits so keeping costs low.

    It would be cheaper to get taxi to station which is around £3.

    Only other method I thought was using a large basket which can fit it in and weighs little since its only a few minutes walk.
  • Can you not borrow a sleeping bag, they are designed to pack down small to be carried

    If you don't find joy in the snow,
    remember you'll have less joy in your life


    ...but still have the same amount of snow!
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I think I still have one somewhere but I always find them cold and I use them like a cover so never enough room for my feet and don't block out enough light in the morning.

    Worst comes to worst I know though.
  • Have you got a compression sack for your sleeping bag? Take sleeping bag out, stuff (not roll) duvet into it, tighten the straps and you're good to go. I'm assuming it's a summer duvet rather than a 15tog one though.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Just tried to test it, and yes its a tiny summer duvet and the quilt (without the cover on top) fit into the fabric bag I had no problem, but would be nice if I can roll it up so I can fit it in easier but at least it weighs nothing.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 30,872
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    To store my spare quilt for the guest room I fold it to the rough dimensions (depth) of the bag and then roll it and then it fits into a carrier bag. What makes it fit into a smallish bag is to roll it away from you on a hard surface (like the floor) pushing out air as you go.


    However you do it, even if you carry it in a bin bag, it won't be heavy and you'll only have a few minutes of managing it until you get to your destination.


    Have a good break.:)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.