Car Hire Cost in Spain

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
7 replies 2.1K views
pepper33pepper33 Forumite
502 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Would anyone be able to tell me what would it cost to hire a car including insurance in Spain for 10 days in May. The prices shown on websites is around £49 for a Nissan juke, and it does seem to be too good to be true. Ford Focus is a lot dearer, but yet not as nice a car

Replies

• ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Prices shown are nearly always without COMPREHENSIVE insurance which is a must in Spain

headline price is meaningless
  • teamgbteamgb Forumite
    117 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    My wife and I hire cars in Spain several times a year. A good site to make comparisons is Auto Europe, they offer different cars to be returned full or empty from a number of suppliers on one page.

We have just hired a Fiesta type car (easy parking) for two weeks from Goldcar Alicante airport (who we use all the time) to be returned empty . They will charge us a fuel service charge of 20/30 euros and sting us on the cost of fuel but the true cost will still be very cheap. They give a partial refund for unused fuel, quarter tank or above.

We have an annual Car Hire Excess insurance and do not pay for Goldcars extra insurance. They will try to push this, but you need to be firm but polite with the desk clerk. They will take a charge of 1000 euros on my credit card to cover the insurance excess.

Good reviews for car hire companies are hard to find but I have never had a problem in sixteen years.

I used my Tesco points to hire this car it cost me £10 in vouchers plus £6 cash.
  • edited 18 April 2016 at 11:11AM
    desm52desm52 Forumite
    29 Posts
    edited 18 April 2016 at 11:11AM
    Lot's of very good advice from the main moneysavingexpert website at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire

Ignore the section on getting a DVLA code, it doesn't apply here yet.
  • We also hire cars in Spain regularly using Goldcar (Murcia San Javier Airport), booked through Auto Europe. Never had a problem with them although I'm aware that they have a lot of negative reviews online. We do usually take the additional insurance cover (it's about £65 if I recall correctly) for peace of mind. 2 weeks hire is usually around 200-250 Euros or thereabouts. They have given us discount on some of the additionals like adding a 2nd driver the last few times for being 'loyal customers.
  • saverbuyersaverbuyer Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Purchase your own annual Car Hire Excess insurance to avoid paying the extra from the hire company.
  • pepper33pepper33 Forumite
    502 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    My friends have just told me they have booked a ford focus £200 for 10 days
  • teamgbteamgb Forumite
    117 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Just returned from Alicante 10th May. Got a Seat Ibiza 1.6
    diesel hire car from Goldcar. The total cost for 14days hire was £64.55 plus £10 in Tesco vouchers. The price included approx 28litre of fuel I used and an administration charge for returning the car 'empty'.

They paid a refund for the unused fuel onto my credit card today. A charge of 950 euros was held on my credit card to cover the insurance excess during the hire period, I have an annual Excess car hire insurance.

The extras they charge may be annoying but I always look at the overall cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals