Does all your money go towards the mortgage?

Hi, I have a question for those looking to pay their mortgage asap. Do you put all your spare money into overpayments? Or do you have other investments such as Isa's or buy to let properties?

Just wondered as I am trying to work out if it's best to pay off my own mortgage first before putting money anywhere else?

Comments

• d70cw6
    d70cw6 Posts: 784 Forumite
    first is pension to reduce tax band back down to basic rate
    second is regular savings at 6%
    third is into current account high interest balances.
    fourethed is split between stocks and share isa and mortgage overpayments.
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Everyone does it differently.

I made sure we have £6000 (three months of living costs) in savings first
    I then costed up our big spends of the year (holidays, DIY, insurances) and made sure that these were covered
    I then, just recently, set up my over payment to the mortgage
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • I think it depends on your age/emergency fund provision/pension provision we do an average of

45% long term savings (this includes EF (this is only in a real terrible emergency) and pension)
    25% short term savings (saving up for stuff, annual stuff, holidays and EF for things I haven't budgeted for I like to have a minimum of £3000 at any time)
    30% to mortgage (plus anything from cashback sites, FIT payments, windfalls, unexpected income)

We are though 42 and 50 with no formal pension provision before a few years ago so we have s lot of catching up to do on that front.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I could clear my mortgage if I wanted to.

Instead, I am borrowing money from Santander at 2.49% and lending it back to them at 3% (and Lloyds at 4% and TSB and Nationwide at 5%). I've also got some shares yielding 5.25%.

No plans to repay my mortgage early unless mortgage interest rises above savings and investment rates.
  • User1489
    User1489 Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 April 2016 at 8:22PM
    Everyone does it differently. I have a fairly sound plan to pay mine off on my 40th birthday (I'm 33 in two weeks).

Therefore I have, as people above do, an amount (£2k) in an emergency fund that earns me monthly interest, an amount per year for annual costs (holiday, boiler, dentist etc), a monthly budget for food and fun money, then at the start of the month I fire everything else at the mortgage.

Only been at that for 1 year though, it's felt sustainable, perhaps because it is still novel - in 6 months time I might feel a need to change - life is flexible, allow your future to be flexible, allow yourself to adapt and change :)

And, whatever you decide, remember even £50 per month - less than £2 per day - as a mortgage overpayment can reduce your term significantly :) And annoy the bank (unintended but positive side affect haha)

Rasputin
    Man vs Mortgage
    Baby Step 1 - £1k Emergency Fund - COMPLETE
    Baby Step 2 - Pay off all debts except the Mortgage - £9,326 to go
    Baby Step 3 - Save 6 months of expenses into full Emergency Fund - £4,300 to go

Baby Step 4 - Put 15% into Pension
    Baby Step 6 - Pay off the Mortgage early
    Baby Step 7 - Live like no-one else :D
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    I overpay a set amount on the mortgage, have some savings which are in santander and soon to be paying into the 6% once I can open it next week, pay some into pension with work and the rest goes on house stuff, animal stuff, holidays etc!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • selloptape
    selloptape Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi :)

I think the key for me is to not be too conservative and rigid with a plan. I know some people like a fixed system in place but circs and interest rates can change and even though I've not had the mortgage two years I've already changed strategy from last year.

First year - OPs were spare money from the budget/windfalls - anything scraped together from reducing grocery spend and bills.

This year - is much more planned, having lived in the house for a while I had a much better idea of costs and budget, I have set targets and want to achieve these. I'm planning to OP a set amount each month (£85) but am also budgeting to save set amounts each month to put in general savings and to safe toward hols and house renovations.

Next year - May be different again - if I can remortgage to a lower rate at end of this year then it might be better economically to invest the excess instead of OPing.

Could you get a higher return on investments than you pay on your mortgage rate?

x
  • lippy1923
    lippy1923 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I always OP the maximum I can each month (£500) as I can always take the money back. My OP reserve account now stands at £11k.

Anything else I put in current accounts. £20k in 123 account and the rest in 5% accounts. Great that these are now tax free for the first £1k earned in interest.
    Total Mortgage OP £61,000
    Outstanding Mortgage £27,971
    Emergency Fund £62,100
    I AM NOW MORTGAGE NEUTRAL!!!! <<Sep-20>>

• lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When we got started, we threw everything at OP'ing the mortgage - we had a mortgage where we were able to take back the repayments we had made.

Around a year and a half ago, we took back OP's which allowed us to fund a deposit on our first B2L property.

We also took enough back to pay for an extension and new kitchen.

We'd been OP'ing for a good number of years, on the one had it was horrible seeing the balance go back up but on the other we were able to to put it to good use.

We no longer have such a flexible mortgage, so we have increased our payments to a level whereby it would see us being mortgage free in 9 years from now.

In addition, we pay in to Reg saves accounts, cash ISA's and S&S ISA's - some of it is for long term saves and some of it is to hopefully fund another B2L down the line.

Of course, this could all change overnight, but thats there plan for the time being :)
  • LadyGnome
    LadyGnome Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    We have a mixed approach. We have 2 school age children so can't cut costs to the bone as we want to have fun with them as well. We have built up a savings pot / rainy day fund which would cover several months. We do have a BTL as part of Mr Gnome's retirement planning as he is self employed. We save a modest amount in investments but I also have a decent company pension pot building up.

Currently we have a 3 way split for OP / Saving up (other than the above)
    Mortgage - Standard OP £200 plus 1/3 of any other savings /windfalls etc.
    Big Holiday Fund - 1/3 of any other savings / windfalls etc.
    Education /Uni Fund - 1/3 of any other savings / windfalls etc.

I also have a monthly plan to save up for things like birthdays and days out.
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family