We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Home Insurance

Options
Can anyone please advise where they have managed to get home insurance whilst bankrupt. I've just spoken with customer services rep from insurance dept of large supermarket chain where sister is currently insured to ask hypothetical question ' if I became bankrupt would you insure me'. In a nutshell I'm sorry I bothered, the lad didn't have a clue. Just said if i got a policy before going bankrupt that would be ok, but then said they probably would't renew it but couldn't explain why. Sorry if I'm impatient but I just lost the will and said I'll go elsewhere. :eek:

Comments

• MissMuppet
    MissMuppet Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Options
    I did a silly thing, I cancelled my home insurance direct debit from the Halifax thinking they would send me a new form to fill in to reinstate it at Nationwide but because it was up for renewal they haven't! Now I am without home insurance and went bankrupt yesterday, I guess I may have a similar problem...
  • truffsie
    Options
    Congratulations for yesterday, must be a weight off your mind.:beer:

Hope I haven't caused you to worry but I'm sure some helpful people here will know the answer.
  • truffsie
    Options
    Congratulations for yesterday. I'm sure that's a weight off your mind.
    :beer:

Hope I haven't caused you to worry, but I'm sure some helpful people here will be able to advise.
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not even sure if you have to tell insurers, unless asked, of your bankruptcy. :confused::confused:
    It has not affected either of our insurances, but then again nobody asked me if I was br.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never been asked the question when I've taken out insurance but then I'm not BR yet. Don't think it matters does it?
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never been asked the question when I've taken out insurance but then I'm not BR

Don't know why, but that made me laugh, tf. :T :T
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • regularsaver1
    Options
    I have never seen this as a question on Halifax home insurance

just asks about criminal record ect

Call them Miss Muppet, because usually it just renews. By cancelling your direct does not neccesarily cancel your policy
  • cinnabar
    cinnabar Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    I got a quote from Barclays 3 days before I went bankrupt - they didn't ask if I'd ever been bankrupt.
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rog2 wrote: »
    Don't know why, but that made me laugh, tf. :T :T

Glad I made someone laugh. It's the perils of juggling a feeding baby, a toddler who wants hugs and trying to hold the keyboard in one hand and type with one finger. Hoefully sometime before Christmas we'll be able to afford it :rolleyes:
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some insurers ask if you are or have been bankrupt but most don't.

Natwest and More Than definitely don't ask because I was looking at their quotes last week :)
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family